Suggest a broker for higher frequency US stock trading

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Zyker, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Zyker

Zyker

I have been with Interactive Brokers for a good 4 years now, and they seem to do a solid job on my current trading horizon; at present my trades last for 1 month and up.

Given the prevailing trend of ever-lowering commissions, I have recently been looking into some lucrative higher frequency (30 sec - 30 mins) strategies on US equities. However, it seems to me that IB's TWS platform is ill-suited for such high-frequency trading: During events of extreme activity (say a news release) the TWS platform often slows down dramatically and the simultaneous execution time delays appear to render such HF strategies unprofitable. Further, IB has the well-known issues with Smart routing and snapshoting of quotes, which I won't repeat here.

I would thus like to hear experts' suggestions for a better alternative. I do mainly discretionary trading, but I actively use the IB TWS api for screening opportunities and testing strategies. My main concern, at present, however, is execution time during peak hours. If there is any one decent US stock broker which does superb job at execution irrespective of level of market activity, then I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.
    Z