Sugar No. 11

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by circadian, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Bubbling higher yet again.

Don't they say you have to be careful otherwise caramel burns and goes up in flames?

#21     Aug 7, 2009
  2. Do you guys remember the Rough Rice (CBOT) fiasco last year ? One hopes its not the twats at 85 Broad Street or some farmers pumping this thing up :cool:

#22     Aug 7, 2009
  3. Sugar#11 Charts...

regards,
    Suri

[​IMG]

#23     Aug 7, 2009
  4. Sugar #11 charts

regards,
    Suri

[​IMG]

#24     Aug 7, 2009
  5. janvir19

janvir19

suriNotes,

your charts are totally wrong. you are using "back-adjusted" concatenation when you need to use a perpetual series to get a sense for actual moves. Sugar never got any higher than 19.70 in 2006.

Regards,
    Austin

#25     Aug 7, 2009
  6. Hi Austin,

Thanks for your post...
    I use TradeStation and this chart data is provided by them. I'll check with TS and see if this data is wrong.

Regards,
    Suri

[​IMG]

#26     Aug 7, 2009
  7. bro59

bro59

Rice was a good example of using contrarian public opinion to pick a top. When the media started squawking about rice inflation we were less than 2 weeks from a top. When Sams' Club started rationing rice due to public panic buying, it topped it. You didn't even have to look at the chart to short.

I haven't been following sugar, but using the COT, which admittedly can be a sloppy indicator, sugar looks pretty close to a blow-off here. Anybody like any particular option series either short or long to trade a move down?

#27     Aug 8, 2009
  8. I got burned in sugar a few years back when I thought Congress would consider sugar ethanol -- still have the scars from underestimating the US Farm Lobby...

This thing could go way way higher, but I'll be looking for chances to pick up cheapo puts or various put spreads along the way, with *lots* of time. High prices should mean vastly increased acreage, and sugar grows *fast*.

Possible problem would be higher oil prices, which aren't hard to imagine at all...

Also of course this thing can zoom to 50 cents, so who knows... That's why I'll only short with small money I think. One thing we can say is that the price won't stay here where it is...

I guess buying a 40cent call doesn't sound too bad either... hmm. Long strangle? Straddle? Put backspreads laddered until they work? Hmm... In any case it seems options are probably the way to trade this beast.

Strategy thoughts for both longs and shorts? Vega, theta, Bueller, Bueller... anyone?

#28     Aug 9, 2009
  9. Suri's weekly chart on previous page displays a clear 3 Push wedge pattern. It does not necessarily mean the end of the trend, but it most likely will provide a tradeable two-legged pullback at the very least. Wait for your favorite reversal setup, ride down through the uptrend line, be prepared for a pullback test, and short again on the second leg. Have fun ...

#29     Aug 10, 2009
  10. #30     Aug 10, 2009