Sugar Cane Fuel Production...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by canyonman00, May 7, 2006.

1. THE BUSH OIL ADMINISTRATION

#21     May 8, 2006
  2. Well I'm ahead there. I'm not worried about India's employment.

As for the issues of concern. The disease factor (for Brazilian products) was addressed. I sure the same can happen here. Engine wear? Sit back and watch for a few years and if you don't here any issues, then jump onboard. Three year yield? Part of doing business. This is a long term game here. And yes, it has an uphill climb. :)

#22     May 8, 2006
  3. g222

g222

Recently red a story about a guy who races a diesel powered dragster - and a BIO-diesel powered dragster as well.

I don't recall the extent of involvememt by the Fla govt in this cane/ethanol project ... but with the 10's of millions in investment required, together with the Fanjul family's political clout (any time you sweeten your java you also sweeten their pockets), there will no doubt be a couple of grams of fat in that pan.

#23     May 9, 2006
  4. nevadan

nevadan

canyonman00,
    You have generated an interesting topic here and although it seems to have died off somewhat , it nevertheless has been in the back of my mind for some time now. I had an idea that might interest you for an ethanol facility. What about sugar beets instead of cane?
    Assuming that beets would be a viable source for the process, it occurs to me that the Denver area might be an ideal spot for the following reasons
    1)Perfect market size
    2)sugar beets are a traditional crop in the area
    3)most of the sugar mills have been closed due to offshore competition and the age and technology of the mills, which has left the farmers without many places to market their beets
    4)the infrastructure for producing the crop is already in place and it seems reasonable to assume that contracting with the local producers for the crop would not be a problem
    5)there is already interest in this type of process using grains or cellulose as a source. There is some efforts ongoing to develop biodiesel in the area.

I know some people in the area that are in the agbiz and they are actively researching this type of process as a way to reduce their fuel costs in their farming operations. They are seeking ways to generate a market for their crops that will reduce the overhead all in the same operation. It would seem a good prospect for your ideas.

#24     Jun 22, 2006
  5. Thanks for the tap tap tap! I contacted several companies around the globe and I got a ton of reading material that is being digested (albeit slowly). With all the things that I am involved in there just doesn't seem to be enough time to keep all the fires controlled. Beets? Interesting. I'll have to add that to my studies. :)

#25     Jun 22, 2006
  6. I live in sugar beet country as well and the sugar plants based on them are hurting badly here too. But if sugar beets can't compete with offshore sugar, why do you think they can compete with offshore sugar for ethanol or sugar based ethanol? Not trying to be confrontational, but it doesn't compute for me.

#26     Jun 22, 2006
  7. nevadan

nevadan

Just trying to give some useful ideas here.
    Domestically produced ethanol from sugar wouldn't face import duties and whatever other political impediments might exist. Plus it is now a politically correct endeavor to produce ethanol, mostly as a perc to the ag voting bloc since the government is promoting a less efficient form of grain based production (imo). A new start up will probably get some favorable tax treatment too at some point if the ethanol movement gains any momentum. The sugar beet growers would certainly help in any way they could out of their own economic interests. With the infrastructure already in place such as irrigation and growing equipment plus years of expertise it seems like a quicker way to get online as well.

#27     Jun 23, 2006
  8. Sound logic! Thanks!!! :D

#28     Jun 23, 2006