Suddenly classified as Professional for market data purposes?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by GRULSTMRNN, Jul 3, 2019.

1. TDA changed my status as well few months ago , and I was told , that they found out my status on Linkedin.

#31     Jul 3, 2019
  2. I was asked for an official letter which I sent and will update when I hear back.

#32     Jul 4, 2019
  3. What is your employment status on LinkedIn? The market data subscriber status should be determined on the basis of whether the employment and market data usage, as defined by the exchanges and your broker, meet the status exemption or not. Not whether you have a profile on LinkedIn or not.

#33     Jul 4, 2019
  4. IbHk checked my SFC profile and knew that I worked for a broker before but I am classified as retail without any trouble. Doesn't matter if one worked for Soros to crack the BoE, if he is independent should be classified as retail. Glad I don't use any social media. If my name were Don Trump, how could a firm know which one is me on social media? Sure names and locations alone can't narrow a person down

#34     Jul 4, 2019
  5. REDP1800

REDP1800

this is a bunch of garbage.

#35     Jul 4, 2019
  6. Why would visiting www.nyse.com mean anything when determining professional status?

#36     Jul 4, 2019
  7. This reminds me a story from 15 years ago. I was visiting a pretty sizeable institution and I told them it was crazy I had never heard of them before. The answer was: "We do not talk to the press."

That day I understood something. Stay under the radar. LinkedIn, Facebook and others, just be shareholders, not account holders.

#37     Jul 4, 2019
  8. REDP1800

REDP1800

ib could care less about you unless u have friends n family with them n under your Master acct.

#38     Jul 4, 2019
  9. comagnum

comagnum

The wording from the broker:

Clients recently received a request to update their account status to determine if they should be identified as professionals under the NYSE definition. Most likely, if you received a notice about your accounts potentially being changed to professional status, it is because you are or have been registered in some way, you are an LLC/Corporation, or were flagged by NYSE based on research which they deemed Professional.

The research being refereed to is going to NYSE.com and looking at who knows what on their site. The NYSE was acting like some crazy hacker sniffing out the originating IP, so they could try to scam traders into paying the professional fee.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    #39     Jul 4, 2019
  10. Risking to be facetious, it should be "could not care less", meaning, they care so little about something that its impossible to care even less.

So, they do not care about an individual unless that individual managed others' funds? Well, this thread is exactly about them caring too much where they should not. What is your point here?

#40     Jul 4, 2019