Sudden vanishing of sports due to coronavirus will cost at least $12 billion, analysis says

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wrbtrader, Sep 13, 2020.

1. It wouldn't hurt if we had a World Without Sports. (WWS) :cool:

#11     Sep 13, 2020
    Ayn Rand likes this.
  2. Turveyd

Turveyd

How would you feel, if the sports peoples outlawed what you like, because they don't like it??

I don't like sports either, but them liking doesn't hurt me so I don't care.

#12     Sep 13, 2020
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It's too large of the countries GDP and involves many different businesses, occupations and supports a lot of communities.

For example, when they moved the Seattle Supersonics...1 billion dollars were lost in revenue via many businesses dependent upon the income from that basketball team to Seattle alone and that's just one specific sport. For example, a few restaurants in the nearby area permanently closed shop, cab services lost millions, nearby city parking (pay) lost millions, millions lost to extra security / police and many other jobs. They all together lost a lot of money.

The good thing its a big city and it had other sports that would fill the void in the coming years but many jobs were lost.
    • Now imagine if you remove, end all sports just from that one city...the costs would be unimaginable.
    My point, its not just the sport itself...its the participants associated with the sport down to the amateur level. Back in 2005, globally, Swimming had 55 million participants while Basketball only had 26 million participants and that's only counting those that competed in at as a sport against competition.

Where I live...the city employ 1500 full-time people maintaining swimming pools in contrast to 170 full time people maintaining basketball courts. Also, 3500 full-time employment jobs to maintain hockey arenas.

I don't know how much income that is to these people but its their job and many probably have families...a world without sports will be devastating on the employment of cities, towns, rural communities, governments and countries.

Getting rid of sports...it will never happen.

Exception the University level in some sports but they'll eventually come back within a few years after the Pandemic.

#coronavirus #sports

wrbtrader

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    #13     Sep 13, 2020
  4. Turveyd

Turveyd

Not needed vaccine, everyones had it, its over all they have is increased false positive testing no where that's had wave 1 is having an increase in hospitalisation or deaths, Spains deaths are only increasing because they've done millions of tests and any death 28days after the test is a covid death, any, car crash, airplane crash covid!

#14     Sep 13, 2020
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Back in March, I was thinking about the Economic impact involving International Students especially the travel bans by countries against other countries.

The economic loss is huge for universities considering many universities often charge tuition 4x as much the in state student and these international students competing in sports and that brings prestige (exposure) about the University to other countries with their athletes.

There's a ripple impact on the economy.

COVID-19 puts international student-driven economic growth in Canada at risk
    Yahoo Finance Canada. “It’s a considerable chunk of money coming into Canada.”" data-reactid="13">The immediate impact is the loss of student revenue coming from overseas, according to Andrew Schrumm, the senior manager of research at RBC. This could account for $6 billion annually that higher education institutions will not see. This lost revenue doesn’t just hit universities and colleges; it has a ripple effect across Canada’s gross domestic product (GDP). “The greater spending is about $22 billion of spending when you add up rent and food and all the other consumption.” Schrumm told Yahoo Finance Canada. “It’s a considerable chunk of money coming into Canada.”

[​IMG]
    According to a RBC report published last week, there has been a 45 per cent drop in students entering with study visas in March. The beginning of the fall semester is uncertain as much of the world remains under lockdown.
    Canada’s economy could benefit from international students even after their four-year programs end. According to the report, about 11,000 new permanent residents a year WERE foreign students who pursued their degrees in Canada. With global travel at a near standstill, it puts a pause on immigration growth for the country. “Generally speaking, our labor force without immigration is declining,” said Schrumm.

“We have an honest demographic concern in Canada, as many Western countries do. We can't sustain our economy without introducing more workers.”

Remote-Learning gives international students more options

RBC’s report explored how remote-learning would change the future of education. For many students, it could give them more options: they can learn from anywhere and they are not tethered to a traditional academic calendar.

For international students, online learning from Canadian universities may not hold the same appeal as the hands-on, workplace-based learning that’s required for certain fields - especially for the premium international tuition prices.

allow them to collect 50 per cent of the course credentials required by the Canadian university from their own country if they cannot arrive to Canada sooner. The government also assures access to post-graduate work permits." data-reactid="34">The uncertainty of the job market in Canada may also dissuade many students and immigrants from taking the risk to relocate. The federal government extended more options to allow them to collect 50 per cent of the course credentials required by the Canadian university from their own country if they cannot arrive to Canada sooner. The government also assures access to post-graduate work permits.

The report argued that these movements would force universities and colleges to be more creative in attracting students to their physical campus spaces – especially the international student crowds who have always paid much higher tuition costs than their domestic counterparts. Schrumm admits that this could be a challenge for higher education and for the rest of Canada.

“The question continues to be whether or not the offering of remote learning from a Canadian school is still worth it for a lot of students who now from abroad have more options if online learning is more prevalent among universities and colleges around the world.”

#coronavirus #sports

wrbtrader

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    #15     Sep 13, 2020
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Option_Attack,

I like many of your posts but...

Please post the politics in the Political thread or Chit Chat thread...

Thanks and greatly appreciated.

wrbtrader

#16     Sep 13, 2020
  7. 28 Days!

[​IMG]

#17     Sep 13, 2020
  8. zdreg

zdreg

Instead of sports it is better to have wars.

#18     Sep 13, 2020
    Pekelo likes this.
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Interesting Podcasts about the impact on the economics of sports about how they're adapting...

https://soundcloud.com/user-266233139

I do remember, still see it...different type of sports on my TV channels. For example, for about a month they were broadcasting re-runs of sports and then they were showing current sports in markets typically not shown on TV such as South Korean Baseball.

#coronavirus #sports

wrbtrader

#19     Sep 13, 2020
  10. zdreg

zdreg

Just as likely as a successful vaccine is that corona virus dissipates on its own.

#20     Sep 13, 2020