Successful traders: what were the early days of starting out like?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by garchbrooks, May 16, 2010.

1. buylo

buylo

I have been profitable for 10 years and have made and lost a condo in a day......not even a day...5 minutes (loser). I have come to realize that things change constantly. All lessons are humbling and relearned. Getting it, I guess, is knowing what you are looking at to drive the market and sticking to your guns until it totally flies off the track and does not work anymore. Then what?? Well, change your strategy and/or wait until your trade comes back.

This is not a 9 - 5 job. You cannot come in on any given day and work hard to make money. Lots of times if your trade is not there, sit on your hands then. I like to think that if you are not a buyer or seller, you do not have to be looking to do the exact opposite if your setup fails. Trading can be a spectator sport as well. Have your opinions that will trigger being a buyer or seller, but also have scenarios (consolodations you recognize??) that tell you to absolutely keep your hands inside the ride. Can't buy it, can't sell it. Sorry if your a trading junkie and can't stay off the pipe for a day or 2. It will happen and there will be days, weeks, and even years where you cannot figure things out consistently. Mental meat grinder my friends, be ready for it. And even when you are, it's still tough to deal with it.

Always stay positive.

#21     May 20, 2010
  2. Redneck

Redneck

fwiw.......

Having a financial planner lose a huge chunk of my retirement motivated me toward trading

I barely knew where Wall Street was, let alone understood what trading was about (btw I still strive to learn everyday – for what I don’t know about Wall Street / the financial industry exponentially out shadows what I do)

Starting out…

I attended a couple of formal (at least as formal as it gets I suppose) classes

I read everything about Trading, TA, Indicators, FA,…

You name it I probably have the book…, I know how just about every indicator is supposed to work…, I can read a company’s balance sheet/ prospectus as easy as a dime novel (note to self btw I need to have a bonfire)

Thinking I knew enough I started trading, and winning – easy peasy – so I thought
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then…

I began losing – regularly and big

And went thru the next 18 months doubting and questioning “every” thing – most of all me

I reread everything… I search and search for help… I spent 20 hour days studying (literally) – week after week, month after month… trying to get it….

Out of shear desperation I subscribed to a few stock picking web sites – in hopes one of them would help if only a little…

I wasn’t proud – I would ask for help from whoever would listen that I thought “knew”… I got ignored… laughed at… lied to… ridiculed….taken advantage of…..

And none of it did any good to further my trading, or stop my losing….

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luckily I finally stopped chasing my ass, sat down, internalized, and thought my way thru why I was losing – short answer….

Because I was not specifically framing up each trade (creating context)…, then placing a trade – and either letting a winner run till it stopped…., or immediately exiting – when the reason for placing that trade (within my context) was invalidated – iow exiting immediately once the trade failed

It took a heck of a lot of internal work just to figure this simple concept out – and even more work to reprogram myself to rigorously follow it……

So time passes and I’ve come full circle….

I’ve dumped most everything I initially studied..., I’ve simplified…, I now have specific context…, I now trade exactly what I see (well most of the time – because I still sometimes form an opinion – often to my determent)…, I now immediately exit when a trade fails (unless I have my useless opinion going)…, I now let winners run till they stop running….

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fwiw and imho – a few noteworthy aspects of trading….

Create precise/ specific context – as the market is completely devoid of most context… We MUST have context – if we are to succeed in this environment…

(btw Please do not interpret precise/ specific as “perfect” – perfect does not exist nor is it necessary)

Always remain opinion-less

Trade what you see – price going up/ not going down – go long… price going down/ not going up – go short… price not going up or down – sit on your hands… always within your context…

Stay in a trade as long as you see price going in your favor – exit when it stops – always within your context

Exit immediately when a trade fails – always within your context

Do not change your context while trading – do use multiple timeframes to create and confirm your context

Always remain open – to learning – and to new possibilities…

Take control, accept responsibility, be accountable…

Whatever the lesson – it is not yours – till you work to make it yours… (do not be fooled/ lulled into thinking otherwise – the market will expose this deficiency in spades)

Pay it forward – the best you’re able… (along with many other benefits – it does your heart good)

Keep it real (no matter how bitter – it is always best)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aside

Someone asked in another thread why noobs make money….

Imo it’s because they have a clear mind and trade exactly what they see… they exit when a trade fails (likely because they’re scared to some extent)… and if they are real lucky – they will let a winner run to some extent – at least till they get scared and exit…

In short – They do all the right things – for all the wrong reasons…..

Oh but then they get some of that good ole experience (and some come up-ins) and progress on to the next stage – where…

We (the more learned??) keep thinking price can never go there – and fade it (oh how many times have we seen price reverse - damn just not this time though)

We (the more learned??) think price is going to reverse – so we stay in a loser longer than we should… (damn in didn't again)

OR (and even better)

We think we’ve put enough due diligence in (justifying it nine ways to Sunday – as we are learned after all) that this trade has just got to work – so we stay in loser longer than we should….

Unfortunately it never really matters why we stay in a loser longer than we should – we’ll end up broke just the same – period…

Then

We (the more learned??) become so gun shy/ so snake bit/ so nervous – that we start exiting our winners quickly – just so we won’t have to deal with the crap a loser brings… Very understandable…, and Very sad – imho

In short – we (the more learned??) do all the wrong things – for all the wrong reasons..

Unfortunately this self defeating behavior becomes a self feeding loop – that exacerbates itself – over and over and over - thru our own actions…

It is at this stage that trading exacts the greatest toll on a person’s psyche…, on a person’s health…, on a person’s family/ relationships…, a person’s account…. It is also where we are most susceptible to the vultures in this business…

We will either quit – or push on….

Assuming we push on, break the cycle and get past the aforementioned phase – then we stand a real good chance of succeeding…

For it is then we can begin to see none of it really matters – and it is also then we can start thinking, acting, and being – a trader…

Regards
    RN

#22     May 20, 2010
    pak likes this.
  3. buylo

buylo

Much sense, Redneck.

I like your 3rd paragraph, talking about simplifying. When we start we have limited and narrow knowledge..........it then expands on all that we see, hear, feel and study. Then we must narrow that knowledge down to what works for each of us.

The early days are about learning your process. And "getting it" is knowing it's a never ending process and committing oneself to it......imho.

Lots of people have told me they want ot try trading. I'm like, "Try trading??" Quit your job, dump your girlfriend and start eating Ramon noodles my friend. Commit to the process.

#23     May 20, 2010
  4. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

RN, excellent post, its good to see there are some real traders in here. You cant fake your post above, you had to live through that.

Hats off to you buddy,

EF

#24     May 20, 2010
  5. Redneck

Redneck

bumping this to see if anyone else would add their experience

RN

#25     Sep 20, 2015
  6. redbox

redbox

Great read RN!

What exactly do you mean by context?

Thank You

#26     Sep 20, 2015
  7. Redneck

Redneck

Its been reported the Saami people have nearly 1000 words for reindeer..., and nearly 50 for snow

Imagine that

===============

What exactly do I mean by context;

Where price is
    How it got there (the behavior it exhibited to get there)
    How it is behaving while there

This context is of course not static..., rather a continuously evolving story - which I read like a simple dime novel

RN

#27     Sep 20, 2015
    redbox likes this.
  8. pak

pak

A true Classic Red...& brilliantly written too!

#28     Sep 21, 2015
  9. redbox

redbox

Great, thank you RN

#29     Sep 21, 2015