Successful poker player

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by philivey, Nov 15, 2011.

1. amazing how many claim to be winning poker players.

there must be a lot a very quiet losers, none of which have internet connections.

99 out of 100 claim they win and win big.

I call bullshit

#11     Dec 5, 2011
  2. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

No poker carries very little/nothing into trading. Maybe the fun of it, but the similarities stop there.

Does not mean you can't trade. I would strongly encourage it. It's amazing how easy it is to make money (and how stupid some people are for coming up with ultra creative ways to lose it!)...

#12     Dec 5, 2011
  3. I have found that chess players make much better traders than poker players. Backgammon players can make good options traders. It's the mindset.

#13     Dec 5, 2011

4. So you tried poker a little, and say in a word "no it wont be easy"

Any guys here really good, consistent, and legitimately GOOD at poker. THEN go and try trading? (Because i'm not one of them!)

#14     Dec 5, 2011
  5. One thing that is similar between poker and trading is the continuous release of information (cards played, trades made/market info) and continuous decision-making.

In trading, it's easy for me to get caught thinking in terms of only entry, target, and stop. Continously evaluating targets and stops can be a challenge for me but might come naturally to a seasoned poker player.

#15     Dec 5, 2011