Successful newbie and moving from there

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by chameleontrader, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Hi,

I'm trading stocks seriously for about 6 months now.

My track-record is 36% in 142 days, which is ~118% annualised.
    The year before I hold only Nokia, which was the best title in the SX5E during that period.

I) How many years do I need to add to my experience to become a professional trader in a company?

II) Is it better to trade your own money or for a company or both?

At the moment I'm concentrating on building a bigger trading stake. It will probably take me another 2-3 years so that I can easily live from my profits.

I'm thinking about taking some seminars or coaching, but am not sure about it because of the costs. I would like to study / work with the best of the best.
    III) How do I do it?

Thanks for any advice.

2. What do you trade? How often do you trade? (I would like to know)

To be a pro trader it all depends on the firm you choose to trade with. I think it's better to trade a firm's money rather than your own, but again, it all depends on what the firm offers in terms of commission and other factors of course.

Any formal education?

Trade on your own for a while more because 6 months of trading with + return is good, but after a year or 2 of constant profits in the + you should be good to go! It's all about perseverance. :)

3. I watch my assets nearly everyday. I only put on a trade about once a month. Its more like shortterm investing really. But I'm comfortable with technical analysis and shortterm trading aswell.

I trade equity only. I plan to trade commodities from next year on.

To give some more information. I'm 24 and just quit my job to do a M.Sc. and Ph.D in computer science. My special interest is AI, especially Machine Learning & Neural Nets. I'm also very interested in automatic trading systems.

Besides that I play lots of poker to earn some good money.

4. Trading Bubble

5. Well thanks very much for that post.

6. <-- Lets out a wild belly laugh @ Eqttrader