Success’ on YouTube Still Means a Life of Poverty

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ironchef, Feb 28, 2018.

1. fan27

fan27

Last year I helped judge a Guitar Center drum off with two other judges. One of the judges was a drummer in his mid 20's. The guy drove a nice SUV and said he was a full time studio drummer. I know the music business and what people typically make for studio or live gigs if you are not a well known player. So I pried a bit and asked what else he did and he explained his wife makes 7 figures a year off of Youtube makeup videos. I was skeptical until I looked her up and became friends with him on Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6jgzx2g3nlbaYkd8EMweKA

Yeah....close to 5 million subscribers! Safe to say he married well :)

#11     Feb 28, 2018
  2. i960

i960

#12     Feb 28, 2018
  3. toc

toc

To be fair, it seems she has lots of product agreements with retailers and major portion of her earnings are coming from sales commissions.

Also, she seems to be very well connected as having Kim Kardashian West show up on her full video is a very big deal that average youtuber would find very difficult to have on.

#13     Feb 28, 2018
  4. fan27

fan27

True, but all of those other sources of revenue are based on the massive amounts of subscribers/viewers she has. That said, she is definitely and extreme outlier in terms of Youtubers making money. Most are just scraping by.

#14     Feb 28, 2018
  5. Everything covered in the news (or talked about) is an extreme outlier...'extreme outlier', though, sounds kind of redundant.
    Average people are basically never covered in the news. And why should they.

This is ET...we should all strive, and aim,...to be extreme outliers. -- not just simply settling for average, or safe.

I was watching this Universe documentary, while stumbling upon your comment.
    Perfect timing coincidence for being...an 'extreme outlier'. ET, extraterrestrial trader,
    , o_O

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    #15     Feb 28, 2018
  6. Handle123

Handle123

Kim Kardashian West does NOTHING for free and since she is not doing that show like she use to being since robbery, am guessing she is charging more than before.

You tube, you have to be working your rear end off constantly, thinking always about what comes next, am thinking burn out rate is up cause to keep people coming back to see what is new that you are doing to keep people's interest.

Me being a scalper, to watch anything more than a minute like eternity, LOL. I have music going on from them, but always in the background, seldom watch them.

Sex or illusions sells, you guys know this.

#16     Feb 28, 2018
  7. I think youtube and the advertisers pay these youtubers way too much. Pewdiepie making millions a year? Logan Paul?

#17     Mar 1, 2018
  8. hoffmanw

hoffmanw

You don't really need advertisers. If you have a million followers, all you need to do is to convert a small percentage of them into buying your products couple times a year. Let say 3% to 5% of the total converted. That is roughly 30,000 to 50,000 loyal followers. They buy your items priced at $30 to $60 several times a year. You makes millions and millions like Paul Logan.

I think Paul Logan makes $12 million last years. He started his youtube career few years ago.

#18     Mar 1, 2018
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

#19     Mar 1, 2018
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Most traders also have a day job?

#20     Mar 1, 2018