Success/Failure

Discussion in 'Trading' started by SimpleTrades, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Lucias

Lucias

Have you ever looked at GOLD? Oil? S&P 500 has been a roller coaster the last several years. Huge run up on low volatility.. tremendous volatility in 2008. S&P 500 has nearly doubled from the bottom.

What were you saying? With 20/20 hindsight any market will look golden.

#31     Feb 21, 2011

2. Holy crap! Where the heck did that come from. I was only commenting that I just started with that strategy! It seemed to work on Friday. I am not arguing anything. I am trying to listen to opinions.

What on earth did I say to insult you?

Please, get a grip on yourself!

#32     Feb 21, 2011
  3. Where's the roller coaster again? Last I checked the market has had a solid rally off of the lows in March 2009. There were a few blips last year that began around the time the SEC announced their GS investigation, followed by the Gulf Oil Spill, and the Flash Crash (which was a great day to trade btw). Besides those blips since the 09 lows, I would say the roller coaster has been pretty anti-climatic....just slowly going up.

I traded everyday in 2007 and 2008. I remember the volatility began in early 2007 (may have been 2008 to be honest -- it was awhile ago and I as I near 30 I find my memory failing [sarcasm]) with Greenspans remarks regarding the markets while he was in China...and I remember the market shitting a brick right after those statements. We didn't tank that day, but that felt like the beginning of a shift in market sentiment. Good times.

Have I seen gold? Yes. Yes I have. I also saw SLV break out on Thursday. Oil? Yes. I've watched it struggle to rally despite the unrest in the middle east -- I watch USO btw...I trade equities.

Any market looks golden in hindsight? You may have a bit of a point there. But the luster of the golden age shines far brighter than most other periods of trading (2008 was great..but I don't expect to see a period that great ever again sadly -- I hope that I'm wrong again). During the golden age of trading, stocks routinely made 20 point intraday moves. Guys that knew how to trade made millions...guys that didn't know how to trade made millions --- but gave a lot, if not all of it back buying dips that dipped lower. I personally know guys that routinely booked six figure and seven figure trading days during that time.

Do yourself a favor and don't compare what you're seeing right now to that -- because you're wayyy off and you're making yourself appear very ignorant. I'm sure during oil's major runup there were floor traders absolutely killing that move. But the dot-com bubble was something that we may never have the privilege of witnessing again.

I said what you were saying is jibberish because it is. It's a bunch of convoluted jibberish. You're being very condescending to a new trader that's trying to find his way in this difficult business. If you trade and you make money, post in the P/L thread. Otherwise lay off this guy and focus on your trading.

#33     Feb 21, 2011
  4. After Lucias comment I think I would like to remind all of you about something.

The trouble with the written word is that it is very hard to read between lines. You can't really see what a person is really thinking and feeling. Lucias has clearly judged me because of some words I said. Sorry, I did not intend any offense.

I am really trying to listen and read everyone's thoughts and opinions. However, I would be a fool if I blindly followed the advice of strangers on a website without knowing anything about any of you. I would be a fool if I didn't analyse and argue everything. I take your words, I take your ideas, and I think. Some advice I will follow; some I won't.

#34     Feb 21, 2011
  5. Thanks ElecEquity.

"But the dot-com bubble was something that we may never have the privilege of witnessing again."

My first exposure to the stock market was during the dot-com bubble. Gained a bunch and then lost a bunch on Nortel Networks. This wasn't day trading. This was a buy and hold in an RRSP portfolio ... well actually I guess I did trade it a few times near its peak. I wish I had understood what a "short" was at that time. My boss told me during the interview how he shorted Nortel on the way down. Lucky bugger!

Thanks for the list of ET members. I will explore their posts.

#35     Feb 21, 2011
  6. Bhardy....I've been an ET member for quite some time now. I changed my handle to start a journal -- which I really need to update.

As for a reference of guys to listen to, I would recommend these guys (some are still active and some aren't, but if you go through their old posts you will find some very helpful gems):
    Dustin
    FuturesTrader71
    Gnome
    Lescor
    Maverick74
    Rearden Metal
    Red Ink inc.
    Seanote

These are some other guys that you may want to give a look:
    nitro
    riskarb
    rs7

Go and checkout this too: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=204669

Listening to this derisive Lucias guy is a waste of your time. Reading b/w the lines is helpful of established proven guys. They won't outright disclose their strategies, but as you progress you may look back at some of their posts and they will make sense to you.

#36     Feb 21, 2011
  7. Also Lucias,

Although my day trading experience is almost zero, I have been watching and studying the economy and stock markets for many years. You sound young. At a macro level, I might actually know more than you.

#37     Feb 21, 2011
  8. Lucias

Lucias

OIL +5.22 +6.06%

What's not to like about that intraday range? Yes, slowly going up. Most people complain when the trend is choppy. We've had just a slow grind with little chop.

it sounds to me like you rather read about how people who traded who can't trade any more then trade opportunities today.

Look at bhardy, in one post he writes "sorry, sorry" and then he tells me he that he is smarter and more knowledgeable in the next post. Still struggling..

#38     Feb 21, 2011
  9. d08

d08

I agree with that, plenty of people here give advice while their own trading performance is bad or mediocre, the advice from those people isn't worth much - only perhaps to do the opposite of what these people recommend.

#39     Feb 21, 2011
  10. Read about how people that can't trade anymore than trade opportunities today? What are you talking about? What part about,
    Do you not understand? The two guys that I know that traded during the '90's are STILL multimillionaires and one still trades.

I've been a full-time prop trader ever since graduating college and I trade everyday the market is open. I'm presently adding a new arrow to my quiver with a new approach. I'm a decent trader and still growing. I post in the P&L thread to back it up. From the looks of it, you appear to be only a below average commenter with nothing useful to comment.

Again, if you trade...post in the P/L thread and prove me wrong. I hope that you're actually profitable. I'm not a negative person and I don't wish failure upon anyone. But so far you're all talk...albeit esoteric convoluted talk...but talk nonetheless.

Look at bhardy? Okay. Look at him.
    He just started. No one within reason would expect him to know what he's doing.

Now look at you.
    Why would he want to be trained by you? Why would anyone? You've been condescending and your posts are about as esoteric and nonsensical as Jack Hershey's posts...maybe worse than his because of the pejorative nature of your posts to Bhardy. You haven't said much of value.

By the way, I've met with Dr. Brett personally and your "Insights" thread does a disservice to his traderfeed blog.

Also your question to Maverick74 -- which went ignored (I should've taken heed to his action in regards to you if they were intentional)
    implies that you make zero money trading. So I ask again -- Why would anyone want to be coached by you? Why would anyone want your advice on how to trade successfully?

Oops...I guess you don't trade. The P&L thread isn't for hypothetical model results. So I guess you won't be posting there.

Do it for greatness? Do it for glory? More bad advice. Do it for money. Trading is a business. Protect capital and make money. Don't do it to be great. If that happens as a result of your actions -- that's great.

I'll say that I've read many of your posts and it appears you're trying to be helpful at times and other times you're trying to advertise a system that no one wants to buy. It's also clear that you DO NOT trade actively. There's really not much else that I need to say to you.

#40     Feb 21, 2011