Subway has more stores than Mcdonalds

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ChkitOut, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Thats pretty interesting. I always thought subway was a terrible place to get a sandwich. They pre measure all the cold cuts and cut the cheese slices in half. I don't get it.

It's official: the Subway sandwich chain has surpassed McDonald's Corp. (NYSE: MCD - News) as the world's largest restaurant chain, in terms of units.

At the end of last year, Subway had 33,749 restaurants worldwide, compared to McDonald's 32,737. The burger giant disclosed its year-end store count in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing late last month.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112284/subway-passes-mcdonalds

[​IMG]

2. That's a good thing, the biggest fast food chain in the United States of Obesity is a sub shop that offers many low fat/lower calorie choices.

There may be hope for us after all :)

3. clacy

clacy

They may have more stores, but Subway's average sales per store is less than 1/4th that of McDonalds.

I think Subway is literally my least favorite place to get a sandwich.

4. Yeah, I think its more of a quantity over quality thing. Mcdonalds has about double the revenue but I would think all that real estate could be put to better use than a subway. I think they are good at finding weird crappy areas to sell to franchisee's or something. I think the average franchisee doesn't make crap and probably own like 20 stores.

5. kipster

kipster

subways - typically adults eat it.

mcdonald's - the kids + adults.

so revenue def higher at mcd's.
    healthier? nope. but now that there is
    more subway restaurants, there mite be
    hope for america's obesity problem

6. clacy

clacy

Sale per Unit in 2009:

McDonald's- $2,251,000/store

Subway- $445,000

It's hard to make significant money unless you own 10+ Subways.

7. no surprise. it costs much less to open a subway.

8. ElCubano

ElCubano

I was very surprised when I inquired about a subway on brickell avenue...$130k . Apparently they seem to not be very profitable unless you aquire several locations in one area......obviously some locations are goldmines...

9. you see a lot of them in walmarts and gas stations tucked in a corner around here. i like subway. had one last night. footlong roast beef loaded with vegies for only 5 bucks. enough for 2 people. delicious and healthy. only 290 calories with 45 grams of fat.

10. :D

#10     Mar 9, 2011