Suburbia RIP

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Mar 15, 2009.

1. The whole suburban idea was founded on disposable spending and the promise of cheap gas.

I find two flaws in the article.

Number one. Mortgage money flowed to virgin lands.The banks red lined cities for the unencumbered farmland. So it was easy to get a loan to build in the burbs.

Number two, no matter how you slice it. No one is going to abandon the suburb and move back to the cities until they fix the schools.

The natural cycle of land use will be to change the zoning to make it more appropiate to the economic conditions. Prior to this, zoning laws forced concepts of 4 acre lots and zero mixed use.

#11     Mar 15, 2009
  2. don't you live in gladwyne? There's quite a few vacant mansions dotting the Main Line landscape right now.

#12     Mar 15, 2009
  3. This guy is just another arrogant, ethnocentric asshole. He has no intellectual grounds to be talking on the matter.

#13     Mar 15, 2009
  4. TGregg

TGregg

Bad schools, high crime and high taxes drive people out of the city. Nobody wants to commute an hour each way. But if the only other choice is paying through the nose so your kid can get mugged in class, you will go check out those nice big yards.

Average commute to and from work ~ 25 miles, a gallon or two of gas every trip to the office and back. So figure four gallons for an `burb to office and back trip. Considering the long lines I see at Starbucks, I think most folks aren't going to change their lives for a few bucks a day.

#14     Mar 15, 2009
  5. i own property in bryn mawr. yes, i noticed several bank owned in the 2 mm plus range.

surf

#15     Mar 15, 2009
  6. Mercor

Mercor

Unlike your intellectual retort.

#16     Mar 15, 2009
  7. Midas

Midas

Not to mention that most places in the country, outside the major metro hubs, look at mutifamily property as a step down. Give me a 30 minute commute and a lake or golf course in my back yard over urban life anyday. Trust me I am not alone.

#17     Mar 15, 2009
  8. Daddy always said "Don't worry about what the Jones's do. WE ARE THE JONESES!"

Starbucks Tazo Tea is Kool-Aid with odd flavors.

Once unthinkable, now unstoppable
    obama-lama

#18     Mar 15, 2009
  9. I just thought I'd dumb it down enough so people like you could understand it.

#19     Mar 15, 2009
  10. He ain't TALKING, dude.

He be writing.

And as a writer, he has a substantial body of work, which indicates that when he commits a word to print, it is preceded by a thought, as opposed to you, who just be blowing smoke out your ass.

#20     Mar 15, 2009