Sub Penny Prints on C

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by GregoryG, Nov 2, 2009.

1. So the midpoints are accessed via dark pools i'm assuming? so al nyse stocks with dark pool markets will have sub penny prints?

#11     Dec 2, 2009
  2. I'm not 100% sure, so maybe someone can correct me, but I thought if someone places a market order or a limit order through the offer, certain participants are given a chance to improve price, thus explaining the sub-penny prints.

#12     Dec 2, 2009
  3. Carlos11

Carlos11

I’ve noticed these as well in my everyday trading. What you saw was in fact a sub penny print. Many traders will not see these prints because the ‘last’ default on their ticker is set to two decimal places, not four.

I came across a link to this presentation through an online blog. When you have a chance, take five minutes and read it over. It describes what sub-pennying is, how it happens, and how it affects us as traders. This is a real eye opener.

http://www.defendtrading.com/SubpennyinginDarkPoolsCompromisingNBBO.pps

Cheers,

- Carlos

#13     Dec 14, 2009
  4. Carlos11

Carlos11

#14     Dec 14, 2009
  5. Thanks Carlos for the link, really interesting.

#15     Dec 16, 2009
  6. That sucks! High frequency traders and dark pools are moving millions of stocks in subpennies and here I am sitting on my 1k shares trade and watching the ticker and just praying my hunch is on the money.:mad:
    Just how much of a penny are they allowed to buy and sell stocks? Can they quote a millionth of a penny?
    I may have missed the boat for making a living out of day trading!

#16     Jan 18, 2010
  7. GlennC

GlennC

They can't quote a millionth of a penny because it wouldn't be a better price.

Suppose
    100 shares * $3.00 = $300.

If you improve on $100 by a penny (so total order is $300.01 instead of $300.00), then that is $0.0001 / share. Can't go lower than that.

2- You can learn trading strategies that involve smacking the bid/offer / paying the spread.

For example, SPY moves 10-50 cents in a very short period of time. That is often a good setup to smack the bid/offer. Certain stocks will have a delayed reaction to that and then move in the direction SPY went.

There are other strategies out there too (e.g. longer-term trading). I think you have to evolve or die. This sub-pennying and price improvement crap sucks.

#17     Jan 18, 2010