Stupid things Stupid people Tried to censor in past:

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LongShot, Dec 12, 2003.

1. So, are you saying that there is no difference, no line that separates obsenity and art?

Just asking you to clarify your position. BTW, if you are not at least 33, do not bother to respond.

Regards
    Oddi

#11     Dec 12, 2003
  2. who among you will say with objectivity this is obscenity and that is art?? you? me? aphie? god?

i dare one man to step forward who claims to know and can prove it!

JUST ONE!!

I ONLY ASK FOR ONE FOOLISH BRAVE SOUL!

ONE!!!!!!!

:eek:

#12     Dec 12, 2003
  3. I think one could safely say that anyone could get offended by almost anything in existence. It isn't a black or white issue, but if the shades of grey get too far on one side and a majority of people would get offended, then most likely it can be labeled offensive or obscene.

There is a lot of shock art out there. I remember somewhat recently that an artist had displayed in NY the Virgin Mary with cow dung on it. There was some uproar over that but of course one man's trash is another man's treasure -- to each his own.

I don't claim to know any more about this then the next person, but I do know there is no such thing as "absolutes" when you have more than one person viewing, listening, reading, etc.

#13     Dec 12, 2003
  4. that's right.. and i believe GG would agree.
    so you, me and GG are in agreement.

#14     Dec 12, 2003
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

no one needs to prove anything.....during the course of your life you will find out , obviously the hard way, what is obscene or not......try this...go up to a guy twice ur size on the streets and scream what you may not want to think as obscene and as i said you will learn it was.....

#15     Dec 12, 2003
  6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Does anyone remember when the phrase
    "Banned in Boston"
    guaranteed brisk sales on a book?

#16     Dec 12, 2003
  7. Determine your parameters for "proof"

Regards
    Oddi

#17     Dec 12, 2003
  8. Absolutely.

Prole feed is not edible to proles unless it makes them feel important, and they will not feel important unless they believe it to be some kind of "secret".

Do not forget that it has to be seasoned with gratuitous(sp) violence and sexual innuendo.

Proles will swallow anything as long as it has one or more of these components.

Regards
    Oddi

#18     Dec 12, 2003
  9. #19     Dec 12, 2003
  10. Oh man! Joyce, Hesse, Kesey and Huxley banned?!?:confused: :mad: :( :eek: What a pity; for all four books are brilliant works of literature...

Although I must admit to understanding perhaps 10% of what Joyce says...

#20     Dec 12, 2003