Stupid newbie question: sold what I didn't buy

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cruzan, Dec 14, 2006.

1. lindq

lindq

J. Skilling.

#11     Dec 14, 2006
  2. The IB system is *very easy* to make mistakes on. Lets say you didnt get enough sleep last night or have other things on your mind, you can very easily hit a wrong key.

Before you hit the "T" key, you should read the order aloud to yourself. As silly as that sounds, it will keep you from making very expensive mistakes.

Then once the order is placed, view your account immediately to make sure that the order was what you wanted.

I believe there is a way to bust the trade in certain instances.

#12     Dec 14, 2006
  3. Cruzan

Cruzan

Actually this is my fourth trade:

1. Bought 500 shares of Oracle at 17.39, sold 500 next day at 17.70
    2. Bought 400 of Micron at 13.70, sold next day at 13.84
    3. Bought 100 of Corning at 17.75, sold next day at 17.85
    4. Sold 400 of Motorola at 20.60, bought same day at 20.55

#13     Dec 14, 2006
  4. Their interface takes a little getting used to. It assume you're hitting the bid to sell or lifting the offer to buy if you just click on a price and hit T.

If you want to join the bid/offer on a limit order you have to click the opposite bid/offer and change the limit price. Or click the price you want and change buy to sell or vice versa.

Traveler

#14     Dec 14, 2006
  5. Colombo

Colombo

Hats off to the newbie..... more power to ya friend. Keep it up!

#15     Dec 14, 2006
  6. #16     Dec 14, 2006
  7. andread

andread

What test? There's no test. They only ask you how many trades you made. Not much more

#17     Dec 15, 2006
  8. ok wow i was reading through this and I just could not figure out where i was misreading i actually had to pull up my transact Price ladder to see what he meant, I think i realize what he "thought" he was doing.

He clicked in the ask sell when in reality all he had to do was buy market, this sent a limit order in to the market @ 20.60. I was so confused till i realized that you dont click the price for market orders, you may on some platforms but ive never seen it. Wow i felt so confused until i looked at the price ladder.

#18     Dec 15, 2006
  9. Prices can gap at the opening. One big loss can offset all the small profits.

#19     Dec 15, 2006
  10. Cruzan

Cruzan

I sold an hour or two after the opening.

#20     Dec 15, 2006