Stupid CPU hogging websites....

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by syswizard, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Is there a list of websites that just slow your computer to a crawl ?
    I am using the latest and greatest version of Chrome 64 bit with a 4 core Intel processor and continue to be amazed at the slow-nest of my system.
    Here is my list of bad CPU sites:
    www.marketwatch.com
    www.cmegroup.com
    www.elitetrader.com

Yes, our own venerable site is a CPU hog...probably due to shitty javascript created by outsourced Indian programmers....natch.

I use the the process manager of Glary Utilities to track the CPU consumption over time. It is so much superior to Windows Task Manager.

Any comments and suggestions greatly appreciated !

2. I am using Firefox plus an adblocker, and don't see any significant CPU usage when opening any of the websites you mention. FYI: my CPU is an Intel i5-2400, so not one of the newest any more.

3. Interesting....I stopped using Firefox about a year ago....as it was a horrendous CPU consumer.
    There were obviously some architecture problems with that browser.

Handle123 likes this.
  4. Handle123

Handle123

Never had any problems with ET. I do run Ccleaner 2-3 times during day session on this machine & it is Wifi satellite dish reception. I run Glary Utilities, Spybot, Malwarebytes & Avast in evening.

www.marketwatch.com I can go make dinner, eat, wash dishes and come back and still loading.

www.cmegroup.com Has data coming through it so I expect it be slower.

Friends have told me not to load Chrome on Windows 10.

5. monet

monet

No issues here with ET, using macOS Chrome. Very low CPU usage, mostly idling.

What does your CPU usage (by tab) look like in Chrome's Task Manager? Is ET really the culprit?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  6. Simples

Simples

Sounds like something else amiss.

Try to install latest Firefox. After Quantum should be better.
    Try adding ad blocker.
    Try uninstalling old/unused programs.
    Try only having one tab up.
    Try closing background programs.
    How is CPU and memory utilization?

Anything help?

7. Peter10

Peter10

I had the same problem with marketwatch.com. It takes forever to load

8. Firefox Quantum is nothing like the old Firefox. Lightning fast and does not slow down simply by keeping it open all day.

9. schweiz

schweiz

I never had any problems with the website of ET nor with Firefox (or Chrome or IE as I use them all). But I clean up and cold start my computers every 24 hours. I have glassfibre internet with 200MB download speed and always go over VPN.

My wife has constantly +20 websites open without any problem on a I5 laptop.

10. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

That's odd. I find that ET is probably the most light weight websites that I frequent. If you are using Win7, try disabling active scripting. It has worked wonders for me. I'm sure that it can be disabled in Win10 but you would have to Google that procedure.

Internet Options>Security Tab>Custom Level>Active Scripting>Disable

You can add sites that you trust to run Java without bogging you down

#10     Sep 1, 2018
    schweiz likes this.