studying in cuba - bad for CV ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by panta_rhei, Dec 6, 2007.

1. no, during that maybe 3-4 months my studies wouldn't indeed be first priority, otherwise i would definitely look for another university. But nevertheless my studies overall wouldn't suffer from it i guess (and would not lose too much time), since i could still write some exams at my home uni and especially would also spend some more time on trading literature. My main reason for cuba is salsa ;)

So I just like to know, what people would think skimming a CV (Mainly in UK and Germany). If it does more appear like sth positive exotic or more like "this guy is not willing to work hard and prefers do spend a loose time in the Caribbean". The latter is not the case, I just know I'm not going to be able to do sth like that within many years now...

#21     Dec 7, 2007
  2. rwk

rwk

I don't think spending loose time in the Caribbean (or having a life) is inconsistent with working hard. If you're talking about trading, hard work is much overrated. Working smart is far better. Do you really want to work for somebody who is looking to hire a drudge?

#22     Dec 7, 2007

3. heh heh heh :D

#23     Dec 7, 2007
  4. The med analog is relevant. Have you ever perused the list of physicians in your plan and excluded someone due to their education?

#24     Dec 7, 2007
  5. I'm absolutely your oppinion! and I hope some of those who are going to get my CV are as well ;)

#25     Dec 7, 2007

6. Bush went to an ivy league school and cannot put a sentence together. Conclusion: not everybody who has a diploma from a prestigious university is well educated or on top of their game.

Yes i am quiet familiar with those who go to the Caribbean for their education because they could not pass the exam. Cuba however, does not participate in that scheme precisely because their level of education (medical school or otherwise) is far above the rest of the region. As a former educator in the US and a visitor to Cuba, average US student (elem, junior, high or college) cannot touch average Cuban pupil in ANY subject. So to reiterate, doctors educated in Cuba are top notch.

#26     Dec 8, 2007

7. Go with what your heart is telling you. Cuba offers one of the most unique experiences you will ever encounter in your life. The people, their food, the conversations, party till 6 in the morning, political discussions, rum, Cuban cigars, music, and..... sorry for being blunt: pussy! I have visited more than 40 countries and have been to some pretty exotic places (I have done all continents except for Asia) and Cuba to this day stands out. Stop worrying about your CV so much, if you are good at what you do people will employ you, if they do not then it is their loss. Just GO!

Do not listen to peole who have spent most oft heir lives in front of 5 monitors chasing ticks. They know charts but there is more to life than $$$$, perfect CV or trading.

Happy travels!

#27     Dec 8, 2007
  8. Surdo

Surdo

Go, and enjoy the culture and don't worry about your CV!
    I am a big Afro Cuban Jazz enthusiast.
    Just turned on "Chan Chan" from BV Social Club.

Bien Viaje,

el surdo

#28     Dec 8, 2007
  9. delbart

delbart

As a former educator in the Caribbean (University of the West Indies) and an active educator in the US (community college to research institutions) the average US college student cannot touch the average West Indian college student in ANY subject. Mark my words, scientists and doctors educated at the University of the West Indies are top notch.

#29     Dec 8, 2007
  10. I agree with the above. You will be competing with people coming out of top schools. Harvard, Yale or Princeton may not be any better than NY City college, but the perception is that they are. Going to Harvard, Yale or Princeton is the ticket to the good life, don't kid yourselves. London School of Economics sounds good as well. If you go to Cuba, that sounds like you couldn't get into Yale or Harvard or London School of Economics. Trading at an IB is big money, so they will take the best from the top schools because they can.

#30     Dec 8, 2007