study:vegetarians live an average of 6-9 years longer than meat eaters

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Free Thinker, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Poutine!!!

#41     Oct 14, 2012
  2. Arnie

Arnie

I just did a study. People that try to reason with the idiot FT live 2 years less than those that put him on ignore.

Really, this is a typical FT thread.

1. He posts some crap he finds on the net, half the time not even reading/understanding it, so the post ends up being the opposite of the point he is trying to make.

2. Others make vaild comments/criticisms of said post

3. He resonds by questioning (in no particular order):

reading comprehension

Intelligence level

Intent of his post

ad nauseum...........

If the Nobel had a prize for being obtuse, FT would win it hands down.

:D :D

#42     Oct 14, 2012
  3. DT-waw

DT-waw

True about the shellfish, however, you can supply B12 with chlorella:
    *Daily intake of 3 gm chlorella provides 4 mcg of vitamin B-12, 70% of the U.S. RDA.

K-2? Natto wins hands down, but not MK-4 form. Cottage cheese also a good source

Brazilnuts are superabundant in Selenium, in fact they are #1 per gram from ALL foods.
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/
    Add some cottage cheese and sunflower seeds and there you have it.

Zinc? Pumpkin seeds and cashews , cacao.

Vit D-3?
    Chlorella has 31000 IU or 794 micrograms per 100grams.
    http://www.sunchlorella.com/product-info/product-index/sun-chlorella-a-tablets.html
    That means 10 grams of chlorella will give you 3100 IU vs 763 IU in 100g of Salmon.

And its true that EPA and DHA are the most abundant in fish. But also can be obtain from seaweeds.

Bottom line: Japanese diet is best for human health as it has ALL the nutrients from seaweeds, chlorella, salmon, natto, sesame seeds, vegetables and rice.

Japanese(at least traditionally) don't eat WHEAT, huge amounts of beef, chicken, milk, dairy.
    These items are absolutely the WORST for humans.
    How come 95% of world's population don't consume milk or dairy and have healthy bones? Africans dont consume dairy and have big, strong teeth, how? :D

That is because vitamin D is much more crucial for bones than calcium, which is by the way lost from bones when you eat too much animal protein or sugar.

#43     Oct 14, 2012
  4. DT-waw

DT-waw

Also, why the hell people tend to put HUGE meat eaters on the same boat as occasional fish eaters?

and mark them as non-vegeterians?
    Its pure stupidity.
    Fish (esp. wild) in moderation is healthy, but meat from factory farms animals which are fed crap, and esp. pig meat is extremely bad.

These dumb ignorant fools should notice how different is a life of a fish in wild ocean vs pig who eats even its own crap and tons of gen modified wheat and corn.

did they ever saw a salmon swimming upstream? how this compares to a nasty, fat pig with its head always down in feces?
    for how long fish exists on planet Earth? compare that to cows or pigs...
    Chlorella is here for over 2 billion years. 2 freakin BILLION.
    how about caviar? its a beginning of a new life. slaughered pig? well, a deadly load of fat with 10000s of bacteria and parasites.

#44     Oct 14, 2012
  5. All of what you say is true, but that means a vegetarian would have to seek out specific foods constantly to meet micro nutrient needs when all i would take is some shellfish or fish. In many ways what you are saying is like a vegetarian taking a supplement.

Also on the sub-micro-nutrient level, mk-4 is what you need not mk-7. But that is for another thread.

#45     Oct 14, 2012
  6. pupu

pupu

After doing some research the way i see it there are two main potentially valid choices; paleo or vegetarianism.

From a pure food quality in the US the way to go is vegetarianism.
    Fresh organic and often affordable vegis and fruits are much more available than organic pastured animal products(which is, in my opinion the only health way to do paleo).
    Again, doing the paleo choice in a healthy way is a much more difficult option due to prices and availability of good healthy animal products.
    Also, vegetarianism is the only choice to go if you care about the ethics of how meat is produced in the US

After doing the vegi's option for 6 months now I have to say I'm feeling better than ever, but that might be due to some other factors. Having said that if I will be presented with an masterfully created meaty meal I will be happy to indulge.

#46     Oct 14, 2012
  7. i did some research on the seventh day adventists. they are allowed to eat salmon and a few other kinds of "clean fish".

#47     Oct 15, 2012
  8. who feed you this crap? total nonsense other than b12. there are many populations on earth that eat no meat and do just fine.

#48     Oct 15, 2012
  9. if you dont want to be ridiculed dont say ridiculous things

#49     Oct 15, 2012
  10. Without reading the study, the headline numbers in the Huffpost article can only be read out of context. The study tracked people
    from the 1958 through the the 1980s. Okay, 3 decades, thousands of people which is a good sampling. However, we don't know if the study is comparing apples to oranges or not. That is, are all other
    factors equal besides the ingestion of meat? What are the rates of exercise, smoking, and drinking among the two groups. Are the meat eaters consuming adequate amounts of vegetables and fruits? What proportion of the meats consumed is cured with nitrates? (known to cause cancer) What proportion of the meat consumed is lean fish or fowl?

Meat in and of itself is not a dietary hazard. Moderate meat consumption as part a of a balanced diet coupled with exercise probably lends no health disadvantage.

#50     Oct 15, 2012