study:vegetarians live an average of 6-9 years longer than meat eaters

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Free Thinker, Oct 12, 2012.

1. look around you. does it look like all the fat sickly people eating the sad of meat for every meal have a better quality of life?

here is the problem in america:

"The details are hard to articulate without choking on them. Less than 1% of adolescents, roughly 2% of men, and only 3.5% of ostensibly more sensible women met guidelines for both fruits and vegetables. And this is despite counting jam, jelly, and orange juice as fruit, and both French fries, and the ketchup poured over them, as vegetables. In fact, orange juice was the dominant fruit choice, and potatoes the dominant vegetable across all demographics."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2654699/?tool=pubmed

#31     Oct 13, 2012
  2. i never said all. a simple one a day at a cost of about 3 cents a day will cover any rda gaps and cant do any harm.
    its the fad of the week supplements that are scams and mostly useless. things like resveratrol and protandim are marketing scams with no evidence behind them.

#32     Oct 13, 2012
  3. Seriously another link to the huffingtonpost? Might as well be Jenny McCarthy talking about vaccines. Here are a few very important microelectronics that are missed or in short supply by vegetarians:
    DHA
    EPA
    K-2 MK-4
    B12
    D-3
    Selenium
    Zinc

All of which can be picked up by eating seafood, especially shellfish.

#33     Oct 13, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I can't say as I really have one.

I do like Prime Rib, but I'm almost as content with a good cheese burger and shake.

#34     Oct 13, 2012
  5. I once heard a lecture by Dr. Dean Ornish who advocates a strict vegan diet. After describing the diet he said, "Even if you don't live longer, it will definitely seem longer."

#35     Oct 13, 2012
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

I see, you didn't address the main points of my post...

They die earlier so the government has to pay off less social security. It's a win-win for everyone.

Also, if one believes in the afterlife, who is to say they are not happier being in there, instead of carrying their fat asses here? :)

P.S.: Fat people do seem to be happy when chomping on a whopper... Fat or skinny, they all look happy:

http://www.google.com/search?client...g&biw=1361&bih=596&sei=j8x5ULTFGcrU0gHEuYDoCw

#36     Oct 13, 2012
  7. The simplest solution, which I started for myself a while back, is to restrict meat to dinner.
    The result, according to one study, is to cut cancer/heart disease risk by 20%:

http://www.rodale.com/meat-consumption

Of course, I wind up having fish a couple of times a week, so in practice it means having meat around 5 times a week overall.
    I figure between this, not smoking, and exercising regularly, you'll be fine and you won't get all antsy from changing your lifestyle too radically. It also means you almost never end up eating at a Burger King/Mcdonald's or some place similar, which all by itself is a net positive, as that will also keep you away from those soft drinks full of corn syrup.
    I remember hearing someplace, don't know where, that the main reason fast food joints really exist is to sell you those soft drinks; that's where the bulk of the profit is for them.

#37     Oct 13, 2012
  8. achilles28

achilles28

Second the prime rib. Rare. With lots of au jous and horseradish sauce. Like yorkshire puddings? Normally, I eat healthy, but when I cook a pr, I like to make a couple packages of yorkshires, add a nice pad of butter to each one, let it melt, then lay on the salt! Not quite a tall, chocolate shake, but close enough! ;D

#38     Oct 14, 2012
  9. hughb

hughb

Love, love, love my gyros!

#39     Oct 14, 2012
  10. achilles28

achilles28

hah :D My favorite meal, of all time, is a good Jamaican curry-goat. Rice swimming in gravy, with a sweet coleslaw on the side, and maybe a dumpling or crispy bread. Thebest. I'm dieting, btw. Hard to tell :)

#40     Oct 14, 2012