study:vegetarians live an average of 6-9 years longer than meat eaters

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Free Thinker, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Me neither. Besides...we all gotta die sometime don't we?

I had lunch with an elderly gentleman yesterday. He has a daughter who hasn't eaten meat since she was a child. She works out regularly every week. In short she's a bit of a health nut. She was diagnosed with TWO different forms of cancer in the same year. One is leukemia I don't recall the other.

#21     Oct 13, 2012
  2. nursebee

nursebee

As a nurse I've learned an incredible fact.

The death rate is 100%

#22     Oct 13, 2012
  3. achilles28

achilles28

:eek: :eek: :p

If memory serves, there's a handful of diseases associated with insufficient protein intake. The human body evolved on meat. Or was designed for it?

#23     Oct 13, 2012
  4. achilles28

achilles28

Whats ur favorite meal?

#24     Oct 13, 2012
  5. thats very ignorant. try education. lots of people do it. we arent even talking vegan. the study is about vegetarians.

#25     Oct 13, 2012
  6. that is also ignorant. there is plenty of protein in a vegetarian lifestyle.

#26     Oct 13, 2012
  7. sure enough. if it were possible to just accept 9 years shorter life and you check out it wouldnt be so bad. the problem is there are things worse than death and if your last 20 years is disease ridden it wont be fun. i hear a heart bypass is a tough operation. why go through it?

#27     Oct 13, 2012
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

FT, here is the problem with just quoting a stats like you did in the title:

We don't know what else the 2 groups do right and wrong health-wise speaking in their lives. It is probably safe to say that vegetarians care more about their health and they exercise more and do unhealthy activities less.

So the bottom line is this: It is entirely possible that it is not just the eating habits that gives them longer lives but other factors. Maybe if we do a strict study where they do everything the same (drinking, exercising.etc) except meat eating, their advantage comes down to nothing or very little, let's say 2-3 months....

Not to mention it is possible that meat eaters enjoy life better. As an extra point, in this over populated world, do we really want everyone to live as long as they can?

As I always said, do everything in life with moderation, and you will be fine. Also, there is the issue of free choice/will, if one wants to indulge in a bacon fest, let him....

#28     Oct 13, 2012
  9. who is forcing anything. this is educational. you have to be pretty stupid not to use knowledge gained from study for your own benefit but i am sure many here and elsewhere are just that stupid.

look at smoking. you have be stupid as a rock to smoke with all the scientific knowledge of what it does to your lungs but a lot of people do.

#29     Oct 13, 2012
  10. Wallet

Wallet

I heard someone say on these boards that vitamin and mineral supplements were crap and a scam........

Instead of focusing on a vegetarian diet, try controlling your bodies PH level above 7 and the benefits associated, which is the byproduct of your veggies.... it can it can be accomplished in moderation, however today's western diet is way too dependent on animal proteins. Lean meat should be considered a side dish instead of the entree.

#30     Oct 13, 2012