study:vegetarians live an average of 6-9 years longer than meat eaters

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Free Thinker, Oct 12, 2012.

1. i have seen this in my own family. 2 sisters both mid 80s. one is 7th day adventist. the other was standard american diet. had to have meat as the basis of every meal and few green things ever eaten. the sad sister is wheelchair bound in a nursing home racked with arthritis. the adventist sister still lives in her home is vibrant and actually volunteers at that nursing home just to keep busy:

Some vegetarians can be awfully superior about the health benefits of their plant-based diet. What they might not know is they have the Adventist Health Study to thank.

In the '70s and '80s, a series of studies from Loma Linda University in California, which has tracked tens of thousands of Seventh-day Adventists since 1958, were the first to show that vegetarians live longer than meat eaters.

Not only that, the studies also indicated that the kinds of foods frequently consumed in vegetarian diets — fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes — can reduce a person's risk for diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes, control body mass index and waist size, and boost brain health.
    In 2002, the National Institutes of Health gave Loma Linda a grant to continue the research on Seventh-day Adventists, branding this round of research Adventist Health Study 2.

The study, which is midway to completion and includes 96,000 people from the United States and Canada, presents findings just as dramatic, principal investigator Gary E. Fraser, MD, PhD, said at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' 2012 Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo. Vegetarian Adventist men live to an average of 83.3 years and vegetarian women 85.7 years — 9.5 and 6.1 years, respectively, longer than other Californians, Fraser explained.

Here are more findings from the Adventist Health Study 2:

- Vegans are, on average, 30 pounds lighter than meat eaters.
    - Vegans are also five units lighter on the BMI scale than meat-eaters.
    - Vegetarians and vegans are also less insulin resistant than meat-eaters.
    - Lean people are also more likely to exercise regularly, eat plants, and avoid cigarettes than overweight people, suggesting that numerous factors are boosting the overall health of these participants.
    - Pesco-vegetarians and semi-vegetarians who limit animal products, but still eat meat once a week or so, have "intermediate protection" against lifestyle diseases.

Perhaps the most staggering finding? Obesity cuts an African-American's life span by 6.2 percent, and across races, the protective qualities of fat in seniors was not seen. (Previous studies have found past about age 85, people who are obese have a lower risk of dying than normal-weight peers.)
    The study population is 25 percent African-American and half vegetarian. The reason why researchers have such an interest in the Seventh-day Adventist population, they say, is that the religion promotes vegetarianism and discourages drinking, smoking, and drug use.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...longer-longevity_n_1961967.html#slide=1013355

2. tango29

tango29

Mom, 87 RIP 2009, Dad 89, 2011, Grandma In Law 93, awhile ago, all meat eaters. Dad ate bacon or sausage pretty much everyday plus whatever other meats for lunch and dinner, since I can remember. What is your point? They could have lived to 110? They were all over the average life expectancy for their generation by quite a bit. My In Laws are both 75 now, and they don't look like they will keel over tomorrow. Both meat eaters, and probably every bleepin day. Not to say 100% that what you are posting is wrong, but what exactly is the point? You could live to 200? As I heard someone say the other day, they were told eating bacon would take 7 minutes off your life each time you had a serving. He asked what his funeral was like 20 years ago?

3. is this anything like "it snowed here yesterday so global warming is false"? or maybe"dont bother me with the facts, my mind is made up"?

4. In all fairness your sisters example is meaningless anecdote. I echo the question tango asked..what's your point? Is it meat kills, or obesity kills or that vegetables are anti-aging? You're all over the place here with your message. Do skinny vegetarians live any longer than skinny meat eaters?:confused: :confused:

5. Funny how you are not focusing on this part. Talk to an actuary. Drinking, smoking and drug use are much more a determining factor for life insurance.

6. had you bothered to think about what the study means you might not be confused.

7. funny how you so quickly reject the part you dont like.

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence." -Bertrand Russell

8. I never said I rejected anything. You were cherry picking and I was merely pointing that out.

"I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top
    I never eat a pig cause a pig is a cop"

-House of Pain

9. i didnt cherry pick anything. presented the study as published. the study was about veg vs meat and smoking and drugs would not explain this:
    Vegans are, on average, 30 pounds lighter than meat eaters.
    - Vegans are also five units lighter on the BMI scale than meat-eaters.
    - Vegetarians and vegans are also less insulin resistant than meat-eaters.

10. I'm not the one that posted a confusing message. Asking you to clarify your point that's all.

#10     Oct 12, 2012