Study says Daytrading for a living is virtually impossible.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traderslair, Sep 11, 2019.

1. bbpp

bbpp

A study researched one million male human beings and found none of them could have a baby.
    The study concluded that human beings are not capable of having babies.

#21     Sep 11, 2019
    Nobert likes this.
  2. gaussian

gaussian

Since we are talking about the study and not my personal opinion:

Seems clear to me.

Can you take your flowery haikus somewhere else. Thanks.

#22     Sep 11, 2019
  3. speedo

speedo

Yep, easy to support your hypothesis if you cherry pick your population sample.

#23     Sep 11, 2019
    GregorySG9, El OchoCinco and KCalhoun like this.
  4. monet

monet

Agree, it can be smart to quit.

The biggest risk a trader takes is the time spent learning at the beginning, not knowing if it will pay off. It could be years wasted.

Then again...

#24     Sep 11, 2019
  5. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

+1 As a former corporate statistician for a big-3 automaker, I will say

a) wtf

b) non-representative sample; No inference can be made between uncorrelated markets like brazilian futures vs USA NASDAQ/NYSE stock & etf day trading; apples vs oranges non-valid comparison.. plus its non-usa traders.

c) the results would be useful for people day trading brazilian futures though; but not for usa mkts

also there's stats like '90% of all small-biz startups fail in the first 10 years", but folks still try, to their credit

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    #25     Sep 11, 2019
    murray t turtle and traderslair like this.
  6. bbpp

bbpp

I guess they have very little knowledge about daytrading and don't know that NO NEW DAYTRADERS can make consistent money. Only those who had long time experiences have a chance.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    #26     Sep 11, 2019
    joker542 likes this.
  7. Banjo

Banjo

When did marketsurfer move Brazil and which favela.

#27     Sep 11, 2019
    jbt and Option_Attack like this.

8. More importantly as a statistician (I have a Master's level in econometrics myself) I am surprised people cannot find the flaws in this study using a specific defined population sample to then extrapolate into an entire population general thesis.

Not sure why this study was even needed to determine newbie retail traders in day trading will fail at a really high rate in one year. Anyone who does not know this and is scammed by a course...well they should not be trading, they are not smart enough.

The study was a waste of money but people just want to get published and don't care about real research methods.

More importantly, day trading success is not a subject that can be adequately researched since one can never include the proper sized pool of actual day traders to make a determination. Even without doing so WE ALL KNOW a small percentage make money because it is really hard to be that dedicated, disciplined and exacting day in and day out. Also, there are better ways to make money anyway and most give up.

#28     Sep 11, 2019
    KCalhoun, traderslair and speedo like this.

9. Uh what the fuck are you talking about. A study that looks at new retail traders for one year only..to conclude day trading is difficult? Wow, a 12 year old could have determined that.

Also all the bullshit fancy stats you cite are just to justify their detail but their absolute conclusions was Daytraders cannot make money.

Uh NO - NEWBIE RETAIL DAY TRADERS DO NOT MAKE MONEY IN THEIR FIRST YEAR OF TRADING

That is all the data supported.

Did they follow up on all the traders to see how they did in year 2 3 or 4? NO

Did they research day traders that were trading for 1, 2, 5, 10 years to see historical trends for day traders? NO

Did they include professional day traders not counting HFT? NO

What is their conclusion on the traders who lost money who then made money the following years? uh NONE.

So...shit study.

#29     Sep 11, 2019
  10. krugman25

krugman25 Guest

The study showed that newbie retail traders become cannon fodder. Uh yeah, how else would markets operate... lol

#30     Sep 11, 2019