Study says Daytrading for a living is virtually impossible.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traderslair, Sep 11, 2019.

1. lentus

lentus

How about you settle it big guy? Are you a successful retail daytrader? :D

#211     Sep 15, 2019
  2. slvrrisc

slvrrisc

I agree with the stats in the report. remember "emg" who said "they just lose!"? I also believe there are those who stick with it and could become part of the tiny % that actually can make a living wage from daytrading. Just that they're usually not public much less selling a trading course or educational product. Kind of like a competitive individual sport like tennis where the top few thousand can make a living at doing it with at least healthy satellite or challenger tour performance, but only a few will ever make it or continue to sustain it for a full time (paying) career to some degree.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    #212     Sep 15, 2019
  3. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

As a broker who observed/ observes many clients over the years, I can share that traders who try to combine diff. strategies do better overall than those who are strictly day-traders.

Examples maybe day traders who also use weekly options or swing traders who add diff. option strategies etc.

#213     Sep 16, 2019
    comagnum likes this.
  4. bd10

bd10

Hi Ilan,

if I may ask, and this is by no means targeted at your firm, but the retail brokerage biz in general, is the say average holding period a significant (or not) contributing element to retail profitability? How prevalent is spread trading compared to outright amongst retail clients? Again, only interested in the general retail sector, not your firm. Thanks,

#214     Sep 16, 2019
    CannonTrading_Ilan likes this.
  5. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

Excellent pointers!

Not much spread trading if at all among the retail part for us, over 60% of what i consider pro traders do use spread trading with us.

Also from the retail part not many will do HFT "properly" and use too much discretionary trading where one can easily decide to break one own rules....

So yes - your question/ comment is excellent because just for example the two factors you mentioned can help separate the success rate.....

Obviously there is more to it like the tools you use, who enforces the rules you need to follow, trading costs....

#215     Sep 16, 2019
  6. bd10

bd10

That's interesting! Based on what I have seen first hand in the softs trade, merchant houses are by definition basis/spread players. This is the bread and butter, the very core of the business. Buy physical sell forward, and views are taken on relative value, ye olde basis trade. There were some trade houses/exporters that were punting outright and took huge bets which went sour eventually. So I personally think, trading spreads can be very attractive and looking at the margining structure at the Merc, they can be incredibly capital efficient and by extension low volatility plays.

#216     Sep 16, 2019
  7. lentus

lentus

what if I'm using a proprietary ALGO SHMALGO thingie at your firm? Do I do better? :D

#217     Sep 17, 2019
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Where did you get that statistics from? Can you share your finding with us?

Thanks.

#218     Sep 17, 2019
  9. trdes

trdes

There's no actual statistics that I have, but I have the same experiences as he's describing.

#219     Sep 17, 2019
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Do you have statistics within your company on how profitable were your company's clients who day traded?

Thank you for your answer in advance.

#220     Sep 17, 2019