Study of the CME e-Mini SP 500 Futures range cycles over a 24 hour session

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by MarkBrown, Jan 4, 2019.

1. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

toc, They and Ayn Rand like this.
  2. 2rosy

2rosy

in depth analysis :thumbsdown:

can you prove that "there are consistent range and expansion periods which can be exploited depending on the trading methodology"?

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

you just gained a spot on my blocked list congratulations.

4. schweiz

schweiz

MarkBrown thinks he has guru status on ET. You cannot criticize him.That's equal to blasphemy.
    That's how you get on his ignore list. I am on that list too.
    He is afraid that your question might make him look ridiculous. His chart has no value. Just looks good to impress newbies.

johnnyrock, tommcginnis and CALLumbus like this.
  5. They

They

Everything has value

tommcginnis likes this.
  6. schweiz

schweiz

Correct, even garbage has value. All depends of the person who sees value in it.

tommcginnis likes this.
  7. They

They

tommcginnis likes this.
  8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

OMG. (Blasphemery aside...)
    I know it's early yet, but this is the funniest thread I've seen in 2019.
    :wtf::confused::cool::p
    You guys are awesome. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Each and every one. :fistbump::fistbump::fistbump:
    Many big thanks. :D:D:D

WHOA WHOA WHOA-WHOA WHOA.
    That bottom-of-chart action is not "volume" as was what my eye told me it was... (and so, like, "Big deal. 'Zzzz-zzzz!'") No -- it's a bar chart of by-hour ATRs. Now, using a bar chart in this context is not what we're used to, and having the color key to the other ATRs scattered about certainly clouds the point. BUT!!

If you imagine a collection of ATRs, set out as ol' Mark has done, to show some material periodicity in the ES trading over the last month, that's a nice thing, and (as he purports) would lend some exploitable insights as to best times to trade, for your given (anticipated hold) window.

Now, having posted of the same thing myself, more than once, over the years -- I can understand Markie's excitement. I can. So I'd say, "Good on ya, Mark!" if it weren't for the fact that I was deemed a blasphemer long ago. :D Oh well.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    They likes this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

Haha, sorry, but when I read this...

"Clearly there are consistent range and expansion periods which can be exploited depending on the trading methodology." and then see a chart like the one he posted, I tend to wonder what the point of the thread actually is. What he stated is certainly true, it is just a blanket statement of self-evidence.

What is the point of it? Where does his analysis tell him he should enter, and in which direction, and for what amount? Is the thread asking for comments, ideas, pointing out anything specifically useful? No.

Red Queen theory states that one has the burden of expelling all your energy just to keep up with your current state. Let alone to exceed that requirement of mentality would take extraordinary tenacity to leap forward from the current mundane benchmark of awareness. <----- Straight from his website.

So he's clearly one of those metaphysical types that seems to think he has solved the universe's problems regarding this planet's markets.

It is no wonder I earned a spot on his ignore list too, because I ask questions and challenge assumptions.

tommcginnis likes this.
  10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Well, it *kinda* does, by virtue of the fact that he's (effectively) plotting a series of hourly ATRs for x-many days, to look for windows of 'advisability' in which to trade. (Which is to say, if you're working a day-swing, and want at least 5-8pts per hour, then place your stops accordingly, and work the whatever period that fits that range like the dickens.)

The thing is, Mark has to interpolate/extrapolate today's Range Advisability, by virtue of holding that whole series of separate days simultaneously in his head. What's going to happen when he figures out how to group days of trading data by hour, instead of by a multi-day series? He's going to end up with a distribution of By-Hour Average True Range(s) (of, like, 8 hours instead of 8hrs*90days), and *crap* himself with delight. We, however, being Puny Humans, will not understand.

[​IMG]

#10     Jan 4, 2019
    They likes this.