Study: Caffeine Impacts Expression of Genes Known to Mediate Cardiovascular Risk

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Evidence suggests that caffeine reduces cardiovascular disease risk. However, the mechanism by which this occurs is still unknown. In a new study, researchers from McMaster University and elsewhere investigated the effect of caffeine on the expression of two regulators of circulating low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol — or ‘bad’ cholesterol — levels.

http://www.sci-news.com/medicine/caffeine-genes-10565.html

“Just two to three average-sized cups of coffee per day contains enough caffeine to trigger a cascade effect, which reduces the levels of LDL cholesterol,” said McMaster University’s Professor Richard Austin, senior author of the study.

“High bloodstream levels of LDL cholesterol are associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.”

“Regular caffeine consumption is linked to reduced blood levels of the PCSK9 protein, which increases the liver’s ability to remove excess LDL cholesterol from the bloodstream.”

“Coffee and tea drinkers have another important health reason to rejoice — minus the sugar,” he added.

“These findings now provide the underlying mechanism by which caffeine and its derivatives can mitigate the levels of blood PCSK9 and thereby reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.”

Caffeine and its derivatives can also block the activation of a protein called SREBP2, which in turn reduces the levels of PCSK9 into the bloodstream.

“Given that SREBP2 is implicated in a host of cardiometabolic diseases, such as diabetes and fatty liver disease, mitigating its function has far reaching implications,” Professor Austin said.

“Recent population-level studies have shown that coffee and tea drinkers have a reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease, but a biochemical explanation of this phenomenon has previously eluded researchers,” he added.

“These findings have wide ranging implications as they connect this widely consumed, biologically active compound to cholesterol metabolism at a molecular level,” McMaster University’s Professor Guillaume Paré, co-author of the study.

“This discovery was completely unexpected and shows that ordinary food and drink have many more complex effects than we think.”

The authors also developed new caffeine derivatives that potently lower blood PCSK9 levels, potentially leading to new LDL cholesterol treatments.

“We are excited to be pursuing this new class of medicines — or nutraceuticals — for the potential treatment and prevention of cardiovascular disease,” said Dr. Jakob Magolan, also from McMaster University.

“It is exciting to see yet another potential clinical benefit from caffeine,” added McMaster University’s Professor Mark Tarnopolsky.

The findings are published in the journal Nature Communications.

2. Caffeine is an insecticidal poison.

upload_2022-2-19_14-27-40.jpeg

3. Overnight

Overnight

Coffee and wine have been vacillating back and forth from being good for you, and then bad for you, SO MANY TIMES IN THE PAST 40 YEARS, that nobody gives a shit about the science.

The bottom line, they don't know how it works. They just want the free research money because there is always some new breakthrough which disproves the previous theory, which was never invalid in the first place. BS!.

4. They should do more studies on Cocaine. I'm sure they would find that it is good for many things also.

5. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

Mostly nonsense, for different reasons. First, almost every long-term study, with very large populations, have concluded that drinking 2--6 cups of cofy daily, reduces all forms of morbidity & mortality. (I drink more like 15 cups daily, organic coffee,)The thought is that it is NOT the caffeine that has the beneficial results. Coffee contains more than 1,000 chemical compounds. And from another angle, LDL is not only necessary; the designation "bad" cholesterol is erroneous. If "bad" likely one of very few elements that Mother Nature messed-up on. But one of largest studies, with individuals I think over age 60, showed that the higher the cholesterol, & the higher the LDL, the longer the participants lived. There is more bad info re health / nutrition / diet, than there is on this site re trading.

6. cesfx

cesfx

Mother Nature created quite a few element that are bad for humans.

Lifespan reference is relative when people studied are diagnosed early and take medications.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informations.../behind-the-headlines/cholesterol-and-statins

7. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

I disagree here too: overall mortality from Statins is more than mixed. And the benefits seems to be due to generally reducing inflammation, rather than anything related to cholest levels.

Interesting info, here & other links re dangers of Statins:
    https://spacedoc.com/

A more natural approach to statins is using natural substances used for hundreds of years, Red Yeast Rice. Whether RYR or Statins, warnings about them causing deficiencies of CoQ10, should be followed.

Separately, don't believe the false info re general increased lifespan. The 20-something of today, lives maybe 2-3 years longer than the 20-year old from hundreds of years ago. Most of the so-called improvements due to childhood diseases, & deaths shortly after birth.

Some-what related, in almost every disease category, the U.S. is about number 30 - 45, behind not only developed countries, but many so-called undeveloped.

tango29 likes this.
  8. tango29

tango29

Q.E.D, thank you for the article on statins. I have and am experiencing similiar issues as Dr. Graveline. Over the past year I have cut my dose my 20mg dose everyday to every other day. In the short term I noticed decreased pain in my joints, and overall constant aches. Over the past 2 weeks though I have started getting the joint pain and aches again. I was going to wait a year to have my cholesterol levels checked, but am thinking of getting checked sooner. If they are good I am going to talk with the doc about cutting back more.

9. [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

#10     May 20, 2022