Study: A Keto Diet Can Lead to Heart Scarring and Permanent Heart Damage

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Wouldn't it be easier to just avoid refined carbs as a matter of course? Unrefined, complex carbs are fiber-rich.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    #21     Feb 23, 2021
  2. Good video. :D

As for the other part, the higher the relative composition of lean body mass, the higher the BMR, all else being equal. And if one engages in intense physical activity, he depletes the glycogen stores in his muscles, which further contributes to the virtuous cycle.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    #22     Feb 23, 2021
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Forgetting the "dirty keto pushers", do you have a reliable source that shows how "balanced" the diets of hunter gatherer peoples ate?

Because, just as an example, taking Nordic tribes that survived almost exclusively on meat and fish (as vegetation was extremely sparse) and fatty foods, I don't know how they could have acquired a "balanced" diet - at least not in the manner I believe you to be using the term.

#23     Feb 23, 2021

4. Balanced in the sense they were eating healthy fatty fish versus simply eating the bacon of reindeer. A drity keto proponent will tell you to eat as much butter, bacon and fatty steak as you want. Northern ocean cultures are eating some of the best fish out there (cold water fish have more healthy fats like salmon and herring). I believe they ate reindeer meat which is actually not as gamey as I thought and has plenty of lean and fatty cuts. On top of that were no real refined/fake carbs.

#24     Feb 23, 2021

5. That is basically what I am trying to do.... but I seem to have an issue with gluten personally as well so cutting that out really leaves me with fruits and vegetables which is fine by me.

#25     Feb 23, 2021
  6. #26     Feb 24, 2021
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I think you might need to learn a bit more about the fatty steak you point out, or the "bacon of a reindeer". You would be surprised what actually leads to good and bad cholesterol. For example, LDL isn't always bad. Its made up of two distinct types...call one large and puffy and another small and dense (in terms of particle size). the former are not all bad.

Lard, for example, is actually quite good for your cholesterol. Butter is a different story. But bacon isn't as bad for you like you are claiming.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    #27     Feb 24, 2021

8. I never said they were bad...eating them ad nauseum is bad as with anything. the dirty keto proponents are not talking about any limits. If you read my past posts about Keto then you would know I dont argue agaisnt fats. However, those who are prone to over producing cholesterol should not be eating fats ad nauseum without concern over quality.

The problem is a tribes person is starting from a point of no metabolic syndrome because they have been eating mostly clean their whole lives so their keto diet is from birth. When a 300 lb. person with high cholesterol and Tris decides to switch to Keto and goes the dirty route because it is easy, I don't think it works the same. It is hard to undue a lot of damage from those dense particles by simply eating 100% fatty steak. That is why I personally perfer the clean keto approach with balance of healthy fats rather than loading up on bacon and butter all day everyday.

#28     Feb 24, 2021
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Triglycerides are built in fat cells, and come primarily from carbs/sugars via an insulin response that moves lipoprotein lipase marker to fat cells.

Again, you seem to constantly refer to this "dirty keto" thing. I don't get that. Animal fats primarily do not cause high cholesterol. Period. They certainly don't cause high triglycerides.

If you want to show some scientific study that shows unequivocally that they do, that would be a good place to start a discussion.

#29     Feb 24, 2021

10. I think you are missing the point of my comments. I am an advocate for Keto which is a make up of macors mostly from fat.

My comment is criticizing the proponents of dirty keto who advocate you can eat as much bacon and butter all day long without any consequences. You are preaching to the choir about fats, I chimed in on the fad pushers of "dirty keto"

The article says "Keto diets are not unhealthy, it's the way people do them that is, according to Dr. Andrew Freeman, the cardiologist at National Jewish in Denver. That is why I brought up the fad of dirty keto.

Saturated fats do raise cholesterol levels, that has been proven. The question is whether high cholesterol matters as an absolute number in links to heart disease and that is where keto argues against the link. Even in Lipitor's studies they found high cholesterol links to CVD to be in the low single digits.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    #30     Feb 24, 2021