Stu which church and which dogma said the world was flat

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jem, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jem

jem

On the ongoing atheist thread Stu said Church dogma stated at the time of Columbus the world was flat.

Which Church

Which dogma.

Come out to play Stu.

2. jem

jem

we will check in tommorow as well

3. Didn't the church torture and kill Galileo for saying the earth revolves around the sun, and not vice versa?

This isn't a church, but this cracks me up:

From Carl Sagan:

"That is a well-known religious edict, or fatwa, issued two years ago by Sheik Abdel-Aziz ibn Baaz, the supreme religious authority of Saudi Arabia. The blind theologian's status gives his fatwas great weight, though his opinions have often raised eyebrows or embarrassed worldly Saudis..."

Also cited by Sagan "The Demon-haunted World'', Carl Sagan, Ballantine, ISBN 0-345-40946-9, p. 325. I quote (as fair use):

<b>n 1993, the supreme religious authority of Saudi Arabia, Sheik Abdel-Aziz ibn Baaz, issued a edict, or fatwah, declaring that the world is flat. Anyone of the round persuasion does not believe in God and should be punished.''</b>

4. jem

jem

rm I am giving stu a very hard time because I also had been taught that the church was against columbus.

But as you can tell I have challenged just about everything I was ever taught in the late 60s and 70s. So when stu made that claim I said I will bet he is wrong. Because I argued against him on a few other subjects and concluded (my conclusion) he was wrong then also.

Well to my surprise not only was the church apprently not claiming the world was flat, just about no one was. This blew me away. Sure I learned this on the internet so I would like to stu either apooligize for his catholic bashing or support his position.

I really am blown away by the total and complete brainwashing bullshit they put in text books. I mean I am not even sure I can believe that the USA beat the Russians in Hockey even though I watched the game. I really do not accept anything I was taught as a fact anymore. (from the right or the left). I mean preganancies are not even 9 mos.

5. some of you people wonder why i attack religion and have absolutely no respect for it. well here ya go. religion is pathetic, weak, and disgusting. it's all a bunch of total bs and i know it. this could have been me 400 years ago..

Giordano Bruno
    (1548-1600)

Born near Naples, in a place called Nola (Campania), Bruno was one of the new breed of scientists who shunned the stilted philosophy of Aristotle; and, thus, came afoul the doctrines of the church. At first he was part of the church (entirely necessary in those days if one was to receive any kind of an education), a Dominican; but not for long. He fled Italy for Geneva and then went to England, that enlighten country, were he taught for awhile (Oxford). He eventually (1585) returned to Europe and traveled extensively, seemingly to avoid his holy pursuers. In 1592, Bruno was arrested by the ecclesiastical authorities (The Inquisition) and put on trial for his beliefs, beliefs based on the real world such as those of Copernicus, and which he would not recant. After a seven year trial, Bruno, in an act which forever branded the church as an intolerant institution, at Rome, was put to death by burning.

http://www.blupete.com/Literature/Biographies/Science/Bruno.htm

6. Do you know what you aren't getting? The simple fact that religion in and of itself is not the same as how certain "fanatics" choose to follow their "opinion" of the church.

Stop throwing the baby out with the dirty bathwater.

7. Textbooks in schools are not the end all and be all of knowledge. Every textbook in the world is writen by one person or perhaps a few at once. At best, an educated team of people will review the textbook before it gets injected into some local school system.

Then you have teachers, each with differing levels of bias, opinions and personal translations of the more subjective material such as economics, history and the other social sciences.

8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Not just that, but it was a bone of contention. Another had to do with orbits. The church insisted that orbits were circular because the circle is "more perfect" than the ellipse.

9. jem

jem

You will not belive this either, galileo died and old man.

The legend according to which Galileo, rising from his knees after repeating the formula of abjuration, stamped on the ground, and exclaimed, Eppur si muove! is, as may readily be supposed, entirely apocryphal.

http://www.2020site.org/galileo/church.html

10. jem

jem

I still want to see what stu has to say. I notice he recently posted on a different thread. I will chase him down.

#10     Feb 11, 2004