Stronger growth rates under Democratic administrations

Discussion in 'Economics' started by walter4, Sep 1, 2008.

1. "I asked my neighbor's little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President some day.

Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, 'If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?'

She replied, 'I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people.'

'Wow...what a worthy goal.' I told her, 'You don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the grass, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.'

She thought that over for a few seconds while her Mom glared at me, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, 'Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?'

I said, 'Welcome to the Republican Party.'

Her folks still aren't talking to me."

#41     Sep 6, 2008

2. Absolutely

#42     Sep 6, 2008
  3. slapshot,

why not make infants pay for their own healthcare?
    Maybe they can have it deferred to future billing when they start working?

When should a parent stop paying for their children?
    Why not bill the brats and make them pay later?

Unless you are a lone insect, reptile or similar - a mixed economy is part of who you are,
    and even then you are part of an environment.

:p

#43     Sep 6, 2008

4. Great post.

Also we are giving the middle east a weapon against us: our debt.

I dont think the war is senseless or endless at all. I believe the stakes have been weighed and I also believe that a time will come soon, when every american is damn glad of our military presence in the middle east.

#44     Sep 6, 2008
  5. piezoe

piezoe

I truly hope you are right, because the alternative is many lives and much treasure down a rat hole.

#45     Sep 6, 2008
  6. jsp326

jsp326

That's not what I said and you totally missed the point. And learn how to spell "Reagan" for heaven's sake.

#46     Sep 6, 2008
  7. jsp326

jsp326

- Double the capital gain tax on stock and real estate sales
    - Increase FICA taxes by 14 points on all income over $100,000
    - Double taxes on dividends
    - Expand the inheritance tax

And 60/40 may be gone, too. Since this is allegedly a "trader's" forum, one would think there would be more discussion over that?

Here's what we should really be discussing here, courtesy of Jeremy Siegel:

"Since 1948, stock returns have averaged 13.89% when there has been a Democratic Congress and a Democratic President. But returns have been a whopping 22.4% when there has been a Democratic president and the opposition Republicans have controlled the Congress.

The same phenomenon occurs when the Republicans have occupied the White House. Returns have averaged only 9.77% when the Republicans controlled Congress as well as the presidency. But these returns were boosted to 10.76% when the opposition Democrats controlled both the House and the Senate and a robust 16% when Congress was split between the Democrats and Republicans.

This means that the margin by which stock returns under Democratic presidents beat the returns under Republicans is cut in half when the same party controls both Congress and the White House."

So if McCain wins, and Republicans take back 1/2 of Congress, there are better odds for America than B. H. Obama and a Dem. Congress.

#47     Sep 6, 2008

8. About your first point, well it's simply not true. Did you make it up? From Obama's website:

--Families with incomes below $250,000 would pay current capital gains rates (a maximum tax of 15% on gains on assets held more than one year). Those earning more than $250,000 would face an increase -- a top rate of 20%.

About your second point, I will assume you are right as I couldn't quickly find anything on the FICA tax in his economic plan

On your third point you again seem to have pulled that one out of nowhere,

The top dividend tax rate would remain the current 15% for those earning less than $250,000, but would rise to 20% for those earning above that threshold.
    For single people, the tax increases above would apply to those earning more than $200,000.

About your last point, it is simply very misleading:

"Obama has proposed to apply the tax only to estates valued at more than $3.5 million ($7 million for couples)

This seems to be the general drill around here. Don't believe the media, instead check on the facts. I though thought the media hype was a liberal phenomenon. Clearly that's not the case.

#48     Sep 6, 2008
  9. Oh My mistake, your point about the inheritance is also completely false.

"he claim that Obama proposes to "restore the inheritance tax" is also false, as are the claims that McCain would impose zero tax and that Bush "repealed" it. McCain and Obama both would retain a reduced version of the estate tax, as it is correctly called, though McCain would reduce it by more"

#49     Sep 6, 2008

10. The myth of the liberal media:
    http://www.bartcop.com/libmedia.htm

#50     Sep 6, 2008