"Strong Dollar"?!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Kanzei, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I've never bought that if you're talking about the gen. acct type budget deficit. Read libertad's post above. That's the kind of thing that really moves the money.

#11     Jul 2, 2008
  2. Other countries will follow suit. And that will kill the only part of our economy that is going well...

#12     Jul 2, 2008
  3. Deficits spending if financed by having the central bank buy the government bonds does depress the dollar.

edit : If it's bought by foreigners it does to.

What part of the economy, corporate profits?

Considering the huge trade deficit the US has, it will hurt imports more, probably creating inflation but new jobs would in time come back to the US.
    Not that's it's feasible unless it's very progressive and planned.

#13     Jul 2, 2008
  4. jem

jem

george bush's policies are not based in ignorance.

he is now winning the war in Iraq and more importantly to him he succeeded in transferring potentially trillions of dollars to his father's buddies in Saudi.

I would not be surprised if his father is the richest man in the world right now. And I am sure soon after george is out of office he will be the second richest.

(yes I voted for him the first time but not the second and I voted for Perot not his dad).

#14     Jul 2, 2008
  5. Bernanke is a moron, period.

I could care less what any of his defenders have to say.

He should never have gone to 2%, and he should've reacted to the inflation that has been destroying the dollar and decimating the consumer by raising rates two FOMC meetings ago.

The fed funds rate should be at 3% now.

Now, he's way behind the curve. It takes time for rate hikes to have any effect.

He's anemic, indecisive and worthless, and he's allowing the U.S. equity markets to free fall and consumers to get crushed.

#15     Jul 2, 2008
  6. This is a drop in the bucket of the currency markets.

#16     Jul 2, 2008
  7. We don't need more imports. We need more exports. If we're going to survive in 2010 and beyond, we've got to become an exporting powerhouse. And it's not going to happen with door-shutting tariffs and an inflated dollar.

#17     Jul 2, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Maybe "vs. the currency markets", but not "vs. the $USD". The Gummint spends about 25% more each year than it takes in from tax revenue. This is inflationary and currency debasing... getting close to $10 Trillion now (Was "only" about $5 Trillion when Spendthrift Bush took office... never to be repaid... not in kind, at least.

#18     Jul 2, 2008
  9. Bush will no doubt go down in flames as one of the WORST Presidents that this country has ever had, and his Texas "buddies" Phil Gramm and his wife Wendy will also be held in the same light.

It's just been SPEND, SPEND, SPEND for 7 years now and his veto "pen" has been permanently stuck in its inkwell. All for "special" interests . . . $huck what's good for the People!

:(

#19     Jul 2, 2008
  10. I'm not an expert on the currency markets, but what does constitute most of the currency market? Capital flows? This capital moves in function to the best investing environment. Inflationary policies aren't exactly welcomed by investors.

#20     Jul 3, 2008