Stress and Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by excrypto, Sep 4, 2021.

1. excrypto

excrypto

Been trading for four-ish years and limited-ly consistantly profitable. I find myself getting increasingly stressed out while/after trading. I start at the comp 1hr before 9:30am cash open and usually end an hour after. Its usually a half hour after open or so when Im doing my peak equities/scalping that I get really stressed out and that it ruins me for the rest of the day. I get a tight ball of stress in my neck which transfers to the rest of my body and wreaks havoc there. Besides doing biofeedback that B. Steenbarger mentions like getting a HR monitor, what else can I do? I do a hot to cold shower before trading, stretch, and do a bulletproof coffee. Im thinking it could be the coffee which Ima swap out for black tea. Other ideas because this is ruining my QOL...

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. look up functional fitness training. I think the stuff associated with neck , back fitness could work wonders for you. Your health is super important in this business, good luck.

3. kmiklas

kmiklas

Breathe. It's so easy to forget to breathe. Try yoga to learn deep breathing.

Also it might be your chair/posture. Are you doing the turtle head? Raise your monitor?

Set up a cam and film yourself during a session. You will be shocked when you watch it.

I had a terrible case of sciatica. I filmed myself at my desk, and was surprised to see myself turtle-heading in a contorted position bc of an old wooden non-adjustable chair.

cobco, Math_Wiz and KCalhoun like this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

KCalhoun and kmiklas like this.
  5. excrypto

excrypto

Lol funny enough I have the most functional fitness routine youve ever seen that ive followed for like 4 years.

6. excrypto

excrypto

Okay that reminds me to re download a box breathing app. Forgot.
    It could be that I am not breathing enough. I crank up my desk to standing for market open.
    Weirdly enough, my buddy who is a shrink also recommended I setup a cam to see where I carry my stress and I didnt notice anything at all. I look calm. I cant tell my breathing as I move around quite a bit but can only imagine its not optimal. Thinking its the breathing and mindfulness TBH. Thanks for response!

Math_Wiz and kmiklas like this.
  7. deaddog

deaddog

I switched to swing trading. Much less stress.

8. kmiklas

kmiklas

Breathing is very important. In yoga you learn to breathe and release, breathe into a stretch, and let the tension go. You must breathe while you trade!

Especially in your style of trading, I can envision you standing before your terminal, gasping breaths, jaw clenched, eyes bulging, as you scalp. I've been there.

Is there a lot of stress in your jaw now? Gently open your mouth wide and roll your head around. Do you feel it? Are you grinding your teeth while sleeping?

I find it also helps to take a brisk early-morning walk first thing, before I shower, eat, or touch my computer.

Yes do give up coffee.

cobco likes this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

HAH! Just as stressful. Just longer term, for me at least. Sometimes it goes on for WEEKS. A real pain in the ass.

VicBee likes this.
  10. Swing trading is more profitable also.

#10     Sep 5, 2021