Stress and Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by jas_in_hbca, Apr 27, 2011.

1. kipster

kipster

just gotta distance yourself from the money value...
    kinda like gambling. treat it as chips. less emotional
    and trade by the books. set your stops. lol

#11     May 2, 2011
  2. xerofia11

xerofia11

A worthyl link!
    I don' t know why but green trades cause me more stress than the red ones.
    I think that the possibility of having less gain from what I could -possible-have makes me unhappy :)
    At least Signal Providers of Zulutrade, through their trades take some of this stress away from me.
    I only look on my history later.

#12     May 4, 2011
  3. Crispy

Crispy

You are only stressed if the money means something to you.

#13     May 4, 2011
  4. cornix

cornix

Not only then. Many people are very stressed to be wrong, even when money value of their loss means nothing for them.

But being proven wrong again and again can be extremely stressful for those who are not used to deal with it as normal part of trading business.

#14     May 4, 2011
  5. Crispy

Crispy

Personally I think it all goes back to the money.

#15     May 4, 2011
  6. cornix

cornix

May be the case with you, but for many people every time they are proven wrong (not only in trading, but in any other area of life as well) is emotional micro-trauma.

Internet forums are very illustrative example. Often people, who obviously don't have any money interest in their point of view and are even more obviously wrong, still defend like a cornered rat. :)

#16     May 4, 2011
  7. Mr Genius

Mr Genius

It is not the stress or the quantity that is the problem. It is how you tolerate the stress.

Personally, I am experienced enough that I dont sweat over a few losses here and there. I know that I will make them back and more in the next few turns. I am also experienced enough that I dont sweat about possibly losing a few more pts of profit. I usually book profit after 10-15%, and my positions could run another 5-10%. I know that I will restart my engine and make another 10-15% on new positions.

#17     May 9, 2011
  8. cornix

cornix

You basically wrote, that losses or profits left on the table do not cause you to feel stress, so you do not have to tolerate it at all. :)

And that is true, confidence is able to effectively cope with stress associated with losing trades and other psychological issues of trading.

And confidence is exactly, when, as you wrote, you know that a few losses are normal part of your trading and it does not mean something goes wrong.

#18     May 9, 2011
  9. Great thread

#19     May 9, 2011
  10. You mean I have not wasted my whole life...?

Thanks I feel better...

ES

#20     May 10, 2011