Strength training with new 3/7 method gives superior results

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Jun 22, 2019.

1. I didn't find the abstract very clear but you won't get much argument from me here. I definitely favour MJ exercises. I have two Single Joint exercises in my routine excluding trunk. Dorian Yates said bodybuilders have way better lateral deltoid development than other iron athletes. So I choose to to do Side Laterals to supplement my Overhead Press; the shoulder is so complex I might not be quite getting the right angle to maximise side deltoid from pressing.
    ____________________________________________________________________________

I used a routine similar to what you specify earlier this year when I decided to reduce my body fat. I decided to do it fast and not worry about what was fat and what was muscle. I knew I could easily regain any muscle tissue I lost once I went hypercalorific again. I did 7 single sets at similar slow speeds. I just wanted to keep it brief and put tension through my muscles while shrinking down. I'm pretty sure Mentzer did similar when he got fat after an injury enforced layoff.

In the eighties I used 12 sets of biceps three times a week and got very good results. So 36 sets a week!

#41     Jul 10, 2019
  2. One thing I like about HST's 75%, 80%, 85%, 90%, 95%, 100% cycle is the contrast between the great pumps I get doing smooth strict reps and the eye bulging joint straining I get when going heavy.

#42     Jul 10, 2019
  3. Wow 15 minutes between sets. That’s the most I’ve ever heard.
    I guess when you’re a professional and that’s your job you can spend 3-4 hours in the gym.

#43     Jul 10, 2019
    vanzandt likes this.
  4. The 36 page study entitled
    Interaction among Skeletal Muscle Metabolic Energy Systems during Intense Exercise
    is attached below and includes a chart on page 10 that shows optimum resting periods by muscle fiber type:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click on image to zoom&p=PMC3&id=3005844_JNUME2010-905612.006.jpg

Most lifters do fine with 1 to 3 minutes rest between sets.

#44     Jul 10, 2019
  5. luisHK

luisHK

Yeah, that sure sounds time consuming, it would be interesting checking how many sets they consider heavy sets deserving long rests
    Fwiw heard that from the Lillibridge brothers in a Mark Bell video and again very recently in a Martins Licis video, when he is about to do some heavy exercise and from memory explains he will start with resting 5mns between early warm up sets than go up to 15mns rest

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    #45     Jul 11, 2019
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  6. I realize that we don't work out in the same manner and may have different objectives, but 15 minutes between sets, or even half that, seems excessive. Do you find that you actually need that much rest between sets? Could you describe your workout?

#46     Jul 11, 2019
  7. True, but competitive bodybuilders are also likely to use (and abuse) more steroids than other athletes, because they're going primarily for the look. And steroids do quite a number on traps, shoulders and arms in particular.

Oh, and I hate laterals. I did them out of a sense of obligation for years before I took them to the well and drowned them. As I had mentioned in other threads, I've now got something of a theme going for my exercise routine. I only do movements I believe have evolutionary relevance. I have yet to see a single joint exercise (apart from calf raises, perhaps) that meets this criterion. I think lateral raises are the most unnatural bodily movement ever conceived and completely bereft of evolutionary relevance. In my mind, they are only suitable as punishment for high crimes. :D

:wtf: And what if you were to do that now?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    #47     Jul 11, 2019
    Billy Robinson likes this.
  8. Interesting, you're right it is a very unnatural movement. I think I'll drop laterals. They seem to stress my left elbow tendon.

The evolutionary approach is interesting. I guess we only need to think of what we need for climbing (I've seen those gorillas at the zoo doing one seriously scary pull-up where I thought the whole frame was coming down). Also carrying heavy objects for building shelters, dragging food like pig corpses. And movements geared for fighting (wrestling, beating people with clubs) and hip thrusts lol.

Yeah, I like the theme. So what are your seven evolution-mindful movements. Do you do any rotary exercises that seem popular with the MMA crowd using club bells and maces?

If I did 36 sets p.w. for biceps again? I'd probably get some impressive sarcoplasmic (junk) hypertrophy for about 3 weeks and then nothing, just plateauing, spinning my wheels.

#48     Jul 11, 2019
  9. A squat movement, pull-up (pronated grip ), chin-up (supinated grip), row (supinated grip), chest dip, horizontal pushing movement, overhead press movement. I do a couple of forced reps for each of dips and the overhead press, and so I just yesterday also included a pronated grip row into the routine, to help balance things out.

You probably wouldn't be interested in the specifics of my exercises since, along with the "evolutionary relevance" theme, I also incorporate my body weight in all of my exercises. Although I've been lifting weights since the mid-70s, it was in 2012 that I adopted my dual themed approach. And while I was doing these bodyweight exercises along with added weight, such as for dips and pull-ups/chins, earlier this year I decided to drop the added weight and do more reps at a slower pace. I prefer it. I reach the same level of failure after a suitable number of reps, and the joints are grateful.

I don't know what rotary exercises are.

#49     Jul 12, 2019
  10. I've found your recommendations and input enlightening. I'm thinking that SJ exercises seem hardest on older joints (especially the dreaded laterals). I approve of your heavy emphasis on the back and shoulders which is what gives a man his shape. :thumbsup:

#50     Jul 12, 2019
    Frederick Foresight likes this.