Street Smarts

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by vinigar, Aug 16, 2002.

1. vinigar

vinigar

Can anyone attest to the book.... Street Smarts: High Probability Short Term Trading Strategies -- by Laurence A. Connors, Linda Bradford Raschke.

The book sells on Amazon for $148.75 new and can be bought used for $148.75....Ebay might have it cheaper. Big question is...for that price ...is it worth it? If any of you well read guys can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.:)

2. wow, that used book is a real bargain

3. vinigar

vinigar

oooops........$175.00 new:D

4. the book just describes some setups based on pattern related to 3 elementary situations: tests, retracements and (3. i forgot)

if you can afford the time, scan trough the "educational chart" material, posted on the LBR site, you can find there real examples that illustrate some of the main setups in the book like grail, anti, 3 pushes up aso

5. One of the few books I dont regret laying out the money for. LBR is one of the great teachers. It's also worth your money to spend a couple of months in her chat room. At the end of the day print out the transcripts and save them. I have three months worth in a binder and go back and read through them every so often. She knows the market about as well as anyone I have run across.

6. Vinigar

I have all of Laurence Connors books, that Street Smarts is probably one of the best trading books that ever came out. However, that book is going on 7 or 8 years old now. If i were you i purchase his other book called Advanced Trading strategies. His research on Historical Volatility is outstanding and his updates on this topic are in the ATS book. Its also cheaper.

Be advised! These books contain lots of patterns. In order to get the most out of the books u really have to purchase the software too. Unless you want to spend countless hours searching stocks that are exhibiting these patterns. Thats one of the advantages of the ATS book, the chapters on volatility are worth the price of the book alone. By the way, the software for either metastock or ts is around 175.

Sterling

7. I read the book and found it useful. You can easily get it at your library through what is called an inter library loan. That way you can save all that money. :) Carol

8. you are THE man! hope your doing well!

9. whether it's worth the money will be up to you. On the one hand anything that is of genuine benefit is worth more than $175. On the other hand, 175 clams buys a lot of other more reasonably priced books.

Personally, I didn't get a lot out of the book in terms of trading strategy. I found that they used a lot of reversal type scenarios where I tend to stick to continuation type trades. However, the book is good in that you see how these two pro's approach risk / reward scenarios. I've heard that some of the strategies taught don't work well in today's markets, but it's important to look at the other lessons taught. Namely, is this trade worth the implied risk??

Best of luck with the decision...

10. vinigar

vinigar

Thanks for the insight concerning the book...sounds like I need to go to the library and read up...based upon what you guys have told me, I just need to thumb thru it to see if there is anything there of interest. Most likely I know or am aware of most of it...thanks again....OVERtheLINE....I am doing fine thanks...hope you are trading in the zone bud.

#10     Sep 18, 2002