Street Smarts

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Nicodemus, Sep 29, 2001.

1. I have been thinking about adding this book to my library. I like Linda R. and have learned a lot from her but am wondering if they are just using her name to sell the book or if her contribution is more substantial. I would appreciate input from those who have read it. Also I would like to get a copy of Crabel's "Daytrading With Short Term Price Patterns and Opening range Breakouts" but have not been able to find a copy anywhere. Any ideas? I thought about starting a thread where people might post their top 5 favorite books on trading but when I tried to list mine I could come up with #1 ok, which would be Elders "Trading for a Living" but after that there are about a dozen that are ok but they all are about equal and I couldn't choose. I just finished Tharp's book. I hadn't purchased it before because I didnt see how someone who didnt trade could help but after reading some posts here, decided to check it out. It's quite good. A lot of the books that are so highly touted I didnt care for but thats probably a personal thing so I won't mention any names.

2. Hi Nicodemus

I have Street Smarts. It one of my favorities. But, I prefer Laurence Connors other book called Advanced Strategies. The Chapters on Vix Reversals and Volatility are worth the price of the book alone. Toby Crabels book is another classic trading book. Definitely one of the best. Probably the book that helped me most. You might be able to find that book at www.classbook.com
    Classbook is on the expensive side. But, its gonna be hard to find.

Sterling

3. I couldnt resist any longer and went ahead and bought the book. When they rang it up it was only 99.95 which is a pretty good markdown. Didnt know it was on sale. Linda R. did make a substantial contribution to the book so that question is answered. Was it worth the money? I've always felt if you got one good idea from a book it was worth the money, so, yes, it was worth it. Most of the setups in the book were old news with the exception of Wolff Waves. Are any of you familiar with this strategy? The longer I trade the more I am sure there are only a few basic setups and they are pretty obvious on plain charts. This book did nothing to change my view. They use a number of different indicators but the setups were obvious to me without the indicators. I still have not been able to find Crabel's book. So many major players mention this book that you would think they would reissue it.

4. babe714

babe714

The longer I trade the more I am sure there are only a few basic setups and they are pretty obvious on plain charts.

What are your most reliable setups ? I'm trying to develope a statedgy to trade the Diamonds.

My fav book would be Nisons , Candlestick charting techniques .

5. "What are your most reliable setups?"

The oldies but goodies: pullbacks to support in an uptrend, rally to resistence in a downtrend. Double tops and bottoms. Been around forever. :)

6. Magna

Magna Administrator

I still have not been able to find [Toby Crabel's "Daytrading With Short Term Price Patterns and Opening range Breakouts"]. So many major players mention this book that you would think they would reissue it.

I agree. Been looking for that puppy for quite some time and would love a reissue. Maybe someone with publishing connections is reading this site (hint, hint)... :)

7. Magna

Magna Administrator

Nic,

I couldnt resist any longer and went ahead and bought the book. When they rang it up it was only 99.95

Excellent price, quite a savings! Where, pray tell, did they ring it up for only 99.95?

8. Vishnu

Vishnu

I actually wrote an email to Crabel asking him for the book because I couldn't find it anywhere. A week later his assistant wrote back saying it was $150 and I could send a check. Then she wrote back and said they were no longer selling any copies. Hard book to get a hold of!

Check out his site: www.crabel.com. In October he reaches a billion dollars under management. Not bad considering he started out at $300K in 1992 and he returns 10% a year (with basically no drawdown). There's an interview with Crabel in The Day Trader's Advantage by Abell and, of course, there is a description of some of his techniques in Street Smarts.

In terms of Street Smarts I agree with the earlier post that suggested Advanced Strategies. I use several of the strategies in that book and they backtest pretty well. Whenever I try to backtest any of the StreetSmart strategies they never really work out that well.

Favorite books (right now because they change every week):
    How I trade for a living by Gary Smith
    Advanced Trading Stragies by Connors
    The Ultimate Trading Guide by Pruitt
    Day Trading Futures Online by Williams
    Bollinger on Bollinger Bands by Bollinger
    Smarter Trading by Kaufman

When I look at the books I have (basically everything on the topic) these seem to be the only ones that have made me money.

Books that I like that are not, specifically, money makers are:
    The Market Wizards books
    Aerodynamic Trading by Constance Brown
    Sold Short by Asensio
    No Bull by Steinhardt
    Pit Bull by Schwartz
    The Predictors
    How I made $2M in the Stock Market by Darvas
    When Genius Failed by Lowenstein

The last one is particularly interesting for the scene where the guy who made $1B basically through trading and then lost it all and starts crying when he realizes the enormity of it. Hope it doesn't happen to me when I make a billion!

9. Magna

I just lucked out I guess. I had them bring the book to Barnes and Noble so I could check it out before I bought it. I wanted to make sure that LBR contributed significantly to the book. I think the biggest part of the book is hers. Conners is one smart dude. He's a writer and shes not. I think he recognized a market and teamed up with her. I asked them to scan the price as the book was marked $175. It came up $99.95. I couldnt get my money out fast enough.

Vishnu

Don't worry about losing that $Ib. Easy come, easy go.

10. that 4x return looks nice ..gotta love OPM;)

#10     Nov 11, 2001