Street Insights Jaye Shartis Paraphrasing"FED was the One who JUMPED the Markets"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by mahram, Sep 1, 2005.

1. well they could do it indirectly. Maybe buying some stuff for a main broker, and having a tacit deal for them to use the money to buy futures. Or they could have shell companies that the government uses all the time or offshore accounts that cant be tracked.

#11     Sep 1, 2005
  2. well doesnt almost every major country tries to pop up their domestic markets somehow. The japanese does it with their currency all the time, so did the british and canadian governments. So it wouldnt be a great surprise like the fed wasnt doing it also. LOL what do you mean strange like wierd theories or just personality wise.

#12     Sep 1, 2005
  3. ok. how about the white house phoning goldman,citi etc and asking them to do what they can? all i know is people are edgy the way it is with high energyand katrina. the last thing the feds wouldwant is a"black" day covering the front pages of the newspapers. im not trying to defend a position or anything, i just think the govt. does whatever itneeds to to make itself look good.

#13     Sep 1, 2005
  4. I had a retail account with Lafferty in '88 and he ran the retail desk. He was odd-duck, personality-wise, but the fills were good.

#14     Sep 1, 2005
  5. mhashe

mhashe

#15     Sep 1, 2005
  6. C'mon guys, think it through. Don't you think that traders by now have been "trained" to buy these events? People have learned not to panic and to take these price gifts in the face of a pretty good market. Obviously, one day it's not going to work, and there will be dip buyer's remorse. The market adapts.

#16     Sep 1, 2005
  7. Exactly, couldn't agree more, but it's not to say the Fed couldn't handle it, logistically. I went long on Tuesday's PM session, and not because I thought the Fed was a buyer.

#17     Sep 1, 2005
  8. yeah but it doesnt explain why there is intense futures selling for the last couple of days. If his theory is right, its basically the fed buys the futures and some big caps, pop up the market, and then gradually sells off their positions. It would explain why the market keeps dipping that is preceded by not huge but big futures flows.

#18     Sep 1, 2005
  9. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

there are a load of seasonal eurodollar spreads that are based on fed spending and saving patterns according to seasonal tax revenues.

to suggest that the fed DOESNT use futures is probably the biggest joke out

the futures markets have 2 objectives:

1/ make the owners of the exchange rich (its a business!!)

2/ to provide a place for large commercials to hedge their exposures.

speculation is simply a byproduct.

i think the fed has a pretty big exposure - especially when we consider how the chinese have a pretty big appetite for the feds debt.

better duck & cover down at the merc greenie.

#19     Sep 1, 2005
  10. all i know is im not selling in this. too chicken to go long too.lol
    if greenspanand the prez are meeting ,who knows what could happen. plus employment friday and weekend.i scraped some out today,so good enough.i think i will go home. ohwait,i am home! bonus.bud time!!:D

#20     Sep 1, 2005