Street Insight & Doug Kass

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by DisciplinedHedg, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Well, here's his post from this morning with the European bourses cascading lower. This is what it feels like to be on margin and betting on a bottom. Hope and sleepless nights - you might get lucky but this is what you're in store for. He's got alot of pain tolerance? Maybe but his clients might not. Anyways, not dogging anyone, just showing people what its like to be a hedge fund manager in times like these. Maybe he couldnt sleep cuz he had a bad dinner...:

"Dream On
    03/12/03 07:38 AM EST The markets may eventually turn, but not at this open.

Couldn't sleep. As I awoke at 3:15 a.m., the S&P futures were about 4 points higher... "

#21     Mar 12, 2003
  2. this is funny. this was posted about the time the rally started yesterday. these are all the gurus comments about the market on thestreetcom. mostly bearish but all over the place. these guys are no better than the average trader. and to top it off thestreetcom started a new service yesterday called the short report. also cramer was screaming its not too late to sell.lol

Cody Willard

Notes and quotes
    3/12/03 03:06 PM ET

A quick run through the commentary on both this site and Street Insight. Just to note also, some of these snippets might be out of context without their surrounding commentary, so take them for what they're worth.
    "Although additional minor stock market weakness is possible, we believe the market has reached the vicinity of a major cylical bear market bottom"
    It’s likely a matter of time now when the October lows will be breached -- will it happen without any bounces of will we get a last uptick before the big swirl?
    It sure is tough to be long, and maybe I'm wrong, but I'm trying to make the hardest trade here and we're getting longer everyday.
    I really want to see some capitulation from investors at the market open before I add to long positions.
    the market will continue to go lower until we have that exquisite moment when the selling will finally price in everything BUT regime change which is what we will get
    The market is going back to the area of the Oct. 10 lows (770).
    'm expecting at least one more short-term rally and hopefully it sticks.
    A bounce seems likely here, though I don't think it will be of the July/Oct. 2002 variety.
    I think we are likely to return to the vomit of our July/October lows soon.
    I feel alone, numb, and a bit shell-shocked. And I take it personally and I'm real hard on myself for being long.
    Sure seems like we are headed below the October lows - don't know what could prevent it now.
    Right now I'm short to intermediate term bearish but "plan" on becoming bullish sometime this year.
    It may be premature, but we are raising our market exposure from a normal 25-40% to 65% in anticipation of a significant move to the upside in the next 7 trading days. That being said, we are probably a little early. In the disclosure: 65% net long now and having stomach pains

#22     Mar 13, 2003
  3. I listen to Kass a lot. He makes me 3-5k a month on average. Great trader.

#23     Mar 13, 2003
  4. can we be far from the bottom when everyone is on the short bandwagon?
    looks like greenberg is not included in this.

Get Long This Short Report

By David Morrow
    Editor in Chief
    03/12/2003 02:43 PM EST
    Click here for more stories by David Morrow

One of the most common questions I get from readers is about shorting stocks.
    Many of you want to short stocks but are not sure how to make such a trade or identify a possible shorting opportunity.

We've heard you. And today we're launching The Short Report, a weekly subscription email service that gives you the basics of how to short stocks, along with advice from our experts, who identify several shorting opportunities.

In such a volatile down market, we hope The Short Report will help you expand your trading experience. As always, let's stay interactive. Let me know how The Short Report works for you. The Short Report service is $399.95 for an annual subscription.

Click here for a free two-week trial.

Dave Morrow

#24     Mar 13, 2003
  5. We'll know it's a bottom (unofficially) when Maria B. starts proclaiming that everyone is shorting!!

#25     Mar 13, 2003
  6. even fleck is long whats the world coming to. lol

Markets Dance to War Drums

By Bill Fleckenstein
    When I saw this start to take place, I covered my last tiny short and actually bought a couple tech stocks and some calls. I am not going to divulge which ones, because I am only doing this as pure speculation. I do not plan on owning these stocks. As a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to short them much higher. But I'm actually going home slightly long for the first time in about six years.

#26     Mar 13, 2003
  7. Doug Kass, a hedge-fund manager with Seabreeze Partners, said that most of the market's excesses have been purged as they have finally gotten rid of "undeserved optimism."

"From my perch, every day we appear to be much closer to resolving the conflict with Iraq," Kass said. "Resolution will have a broadly stimulative impact on the consumer, as plunging oil prices will serve as a tax cut."

He said that a quick and positive resolution to the Iraq situation "has the potential of unleashing a virtuous cycle." The cycle, Kass thinks, would include rising consumer confidence, a general easing in risk aversion, a lift to the U.S. dollar and a possible return to pricing power, which would generate a profit recovery that could be well in excess of current estimates.

Kass predicts that 12 months out, the S&P 500's forward earnings likely will stand around $60 a share -- representing a gain of about 8 percent and implying a target multiple of the S&P 500 Index of about 1,080.

What has made Kass, who, cautioned investors during the Internet craze, start to reach for the hand of optimism?

"Back in the bubble days of yesteryear, I often was asked what would change my negative viewpoint. My answer always has been time and price," Kass said. "To be sure, there remains plenty of risk, but over the course of time and in light of three years of sharply lower prices, those risks appear to be diminishing just as many are giving up hope."

#27     Apr 4, 2003