Strategy: Selling Put Options: The Best Income Method?

Discussion in 'Options' started by botpro, Feb 28, 2016.

1. destriero

destriero

My point is that it's probably the #1 topic in the optionz forum. Why post some hack-link?

#21     Feb 29, 2016
  2. botpro

botpro

Show an equivalent thread discussing the same strategy.

#22     Feb 29, 2016
  3. destriero

destriero

#23     Feb 29, 2016
  4. botpro

botpro

Ok, yes, I see.
    I was thinking that the said strategy is maybe something new, yes it seems it's a well known standard strategy...
    As said I'm new to the options selling stuff...

But I must admit I liked the article because of its simplicity and especially the fact of combining margin with the strategy
    to achieve a leverage effect which results in at least a doubling of the normal outcome.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    #24     Feb 29, 2016
  5. gkishot

gkishot

The article looks more like infomercial. I bet the author does not do what he preaches for a living.

#25     Feb 29, 2016
  6. botpro

botpro

That I can't judge. But surely every article has a "message" to carry.
    For Average Joe, the article is clear, educational, and all implications are explained well, IMO.

#26     Feb 29, 2016
  7. OptionGuru

OptionGuru

Selling puts has been around since 2014, but the theory of selling puts has been discussed as far back as 2008.

:)

#27     Feb 29, 2016
  8. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

I started trading in 1985 professionally. Options selling was popular back then too.

#28     Feb 29, 2016
  9. botpro

botpro

The author has forgotten to mention the annualized profit when using margin. He writes:
    Code:
    "[...]In a cash-secured account you would deposit enough to cover the full amount, which is $3,400 for one contract.
    That is an instant yield of 4.4% and your capital is only tied up for three months, or 17.3% annualized if you repeat the trade.

In a margin account, you would deposit about a fifth of the full amount, $680, but still collect the same $150 for one option contract. This gives you a yield of 22% in three months[...]" 
    22% in 3 months makes annualized: 100 * (1 + 22/100)^4 -100 = 121.53% profit, ie. when repeating the same strategy every quarter.

Wow! wow! wow! I very much like such high yield, ie. profit... ;-)

That's for me the best trading tip or strategy I ever have got from others, I admit.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    #29     Feb 29, 2016
  10. I would say put selling has been around since there were puts :).

#30     Feb 29, 2016