Strategy makes money but more losers than winners

Discussion in 'Trading' started by zanek, Sep 27, 2012.

1. NoDoji

NoDoji

I found the psychology of trading is more important than the method because anyone with access to a good trading book, charts, and a spreadsheet can develop a plan that makes money overall. But can you trade it? As was mentioned, pro trend followers have a pretty low win rate, but the winners are far larger than the losers.

Pro counter-trend faders have win rates of 90% or better, but the occasional loser can be pretty big.

Pro price action scalpers can have positive win rates and positive R:R, but they're extracting small profits so it takes a lot of pure concentration and discipline to realize the potential of this strategy.

The key here is "pro". A professional has a plan, trust in the plan, and the ability to trade without thinking (opinion, price bias, hesitation, etc). Therefore a professional not only makes money overall, but consistently makes enough money overall to cover basic living expenses, taxes, savings, retirement, and fun.

If you have any trouble whatsoever taking a loss, or any doubt about your ability after taking a loss, then trading any kind of strategy will be difficult, maybe impossible.

#21     Sep 27, 2012
  2. well said, especially about the mental part. Like I said, I have a good trend system, but I just can't take the mental stress of it all, even though I know it makes more than my chop system.

either way though, for me all the money is made in the trend. If you're going to hybridize, which is what I attempt to do, I have to give up something somewhere. So, I don't get all of the chop, and I don't get all of the trend. The chop pays the bills, the trend makes me money.

#22     Sep 27, 2012