Strategy - Indicators

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traderwald, Aug 10, 2018.

1. cvds16

cvds16

You make an interesting case, one I haven't researched fully due to lack of the right software but you might have a point there.
    Tomorton, you might call this a draw, I am just not willing to give away something that works at this point in time. Especially since I am not sure this kinda stuff might work one year from now ..
    I stand by the point that bigger charts seem to be more reliable than intraday charts, the downside to that is that good signals are far and between. For me trading has become a kinda of intellectual hobby that I might pursue deeper or not somewhere in the future.
    I just know at this point in time the smarter thing seems to be to move on with my life while leaving trading on the backburner. There is more to life than money and trading ...

#21     Aug 12, 2018
  2. comagnum

comagnum

Agreed. I gladly take the overnight positions.

“If you don’t find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die.” Warren Buffet
    upload_2018-8-12_3-5-54.png

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    #22     Aug 12, 2018
    userque, cvds16 and Simples like this.
  3. deaddog

deaddog

I buy stocks that are trending and hold until the trend ends.

Never hold a losing position in your portfolio.

#23     Aug 12, 2018
    tomorton likes this.
  4. 777

All of the markets gains and a sliver of a hair more have come from overnight moves.

Of course this does not mean it is impossible to find edges during the day.

I share this because many people are surprised to hear this.

#24     Aug 12, 2018
  5. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    #25     Aug 12, 2018
    birdman likes this.
  6. IAlwaysWin

IAlwaysWin

Indicators only lag if you're using a poorly developed one. My indicators don't lag. What is the point in people bashing indicators?

I understand one thing really well. The big players will stop at nothing to get a retail trader to look at a raw chart and trade price action bear foot like a dumb ass. They want you to lose!

#27     Aug 13, 2018
    cvds16 likes this.
  7. deaddog

deaddog

I have yet to see an indicator that doesn't rely on price movement in order to change. For the most part indicators manipulate price data so that it is visually pleasing. therefore the info you get from an indicator is lagging.

I'm not saying you can not successfully trade using indicators, I'm saying that price has to change before the indicator does.

If you take the time to plot your own indicators you will see what I mean. Take price movement out of an indicator formula and you have nothing.

#28     Aug 13, 2018
  8. speedo

speedo

Everything is "lagging" including price or there would be nothing to print. If I develop something that prints the future, I will offer it for sale....but it won't be cheap. :D

#29     Aug 13, 2018
    jl1575, birdman, IAlwaysWin and 2 others like this.
  9. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

tons of non lagging indicators out there. you can know the future with a high degree of confidence. traders generally don't spend time with weather modeling software, crays, matlab, vr so they really have no clue just how helpful advanced mathematics r.

exacerbating the frustration of simple traders is the ignorance of applying perfect math to imperfect time based data and expecting good results. lol

you maybe a jeff foxworthy joke if you use candle sticks and trend lines.

#30     Aug 13, 2018
    They likes this.