Strategy - Indicators

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traderwald, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Hi guys,

What is your strategy based on since all indicators are lagging indicators ? When you look for price action or volume, you are making assumptions - is that correct ?

Thank you

2. dozu888

dozu888

you need to come up with a story based on the price action.

traderwald likes this.
  3. smallfil

smallfil

Indicators are there to confirm what you already know. It is not there to predict what is likely to happen although, at times it seems that way. Even if you take away all the indicators, you can still trade using support and resistance, price action, candlesticks. Ergo, you do not need indicators to trade!

cafeole and traderwald like this.
  4. padutrader

padutrader

i try to use volume and spread.........there is lot of ambiguity in what is large volume and what is small or large spread...but get enough profitable scalps.....it takes some practice.
    there is software available -2000 usd- called trade guider seach gavin holmes vsa and you will find it. or get the book by Tom Williams 'master the markets'

5. padutrader

padutrader

indicators are there to measure what you already know.
    if you cannot measure it,you cannot manage it:Seykota

6. snilson

snilson

indicators are useless!

7. tomorton

tomorton

All indicators lag, but if you're trend-following, you necessarily must choose to use a lagging price formation or a lagging indicator - a trend-following entry can only lag the trend. If price isn't visibly moving in a trend, no indicator will help because they're all lagging, none predictive.

You might say, "But I wish to trade reversals, and all indicators lag so how so they help me trade reversals?" Well that's just the point, you can't use indicators for something they're not built to do.

traderwald likes this.
  8. Palindrome

Palindrome

Awesome advice, so true.

You need to understand how market move.

9. cvds16

cvds16

You are surely joking I hope ... Indicators can point to reversal points. But you will not be able to rely on a single indicator for that kind of stuff ...

10. dozu888

dozu888

check my 'trading is easy' thread... aside from lower stress lower commission lower effort more profit potential... the argument for doing long term trading is that you have more clarity on the price action because there is more supporting evidence for the story.

intraday you only have price, so the success rate is lower.

#10     Aug 11, 2018
    comagnum likes this.