Strategy(ies) exchange

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by dom993, Jun 7, 2012.

1. You trade futures only? Us? Globex / CME?

That would be my markets.

#11     Jun 8, 2012
  2. dom993

dom993

I currently trade those 2 strategies on CL only, the 1st one is pretty much specific to CL (although I suspect a remote cousin could work for ES), the 2nd one would much likely work on many markets - I just lack the time & historical data to validate it on other markets at this time.

#12     Jun 9, 2012
  3. dom993

dom993

Despite the lack of apparent interest in this offer, here is an update of where I stand:

- Validated both strategies' real-time behavior using MarketReplay (re-read this ... it is the real-time behavior that I validated, not the performance of the strategies! Ninja's fill engine for Sim101 & MarketReplay is giving so wrong fills it would be plain laughable if it wasn't such a pain then to validate anything by comparing trade logs between Backtest & MarketReplay).

- Moved to real-time execution on my IB sim account for both strategies (which are running live in my real account on Ensign). I plan to carefully monitor the order management for a few weeks (the only thing I couldn't test at all until then), already hit a serious issue with Ninja :( ... hopefully they will be able to fix it.

- I am working on an "extended hours" version of the DF20 strategy (it currently only trades 9am to 12pm, a bit more on Mondays & Fridays). That "extended hours" version shows about +25% P&L in backtesting, quite consistently across the almost 3 years I use for backtesting. See attached.

#13     Jun 21, 2012
  4. dom993

dom993

Another update (already 5 weeks since last one ?!) :

- I developed a fairly large workaround for the NinjaTrader issue with "native" IB OCOs ... since I am only trading 1 contract per target at this time, I decided to cut a corner at this stage and constrain that workaround for 1 contract per OCO (it is always possible to run multiple instances of a strategy if more contracts per target are required). Did very extensive testing of all sorts of order-feed errors, and I am very pleased with the results.

- While I was at it, I addressed a number of other failure scenarios: UPS Suspend, System Shutdown, Internet-service interrupt. I am pretty proud of the behavior on Internet-loss followed by reconnection (any strategy w/ an open trade is left alone, all open entries are cancelled, each chart is reloaded (data) then its strategy(ies) restarted, and I take care not to reload data for a chart/strategy if that would impact another strategy w/ open trades on same instrument - on same or different chart).

In the process, I realized Ninja's driver for Kinetick doesn't work properly through most Internet deconnection / reconnection cycles ... luckily, using the IQfeed driver works just fine (Kinetick is just a rebrand of IQfeed for Ninja).

- I also fixed a bunch of memory-leaks (ha! there isn't such thing in C# thanks to GC aka Garbage-Collector, right? wrong), which means I don't have to restart Ninja every-time before doing a backtest.

- For the reversal (DF20) strategy I exposed all filters parameters, and made sure the Time-of-Day filters do work regardless of the timezone in which Ninja is run (these parameters are expressed in Nymex local time, ie. EST).

I finally decided this week I was ready to switchover my live trading from Ensign to Ninja, and I have been running both strategies on Ninja in my live accounts (2 accounts, 1 per strategy) since Wednesday (I continue monitoring for any real-time discrepancy with Ensign).

My idea of "exchanging" live & profitable strategies still hold (see 1st post of this thread) ... PM me if you are interested.

#14     Jul 27, 2012
  5. dom993

dom993

I though I would give an update on the performance of the reversal system ... I spent a few weeks in August & early September analyzing the behavior & performance of that system from January-2007 to October-2009, and came-up with a small number of improvements.

The performance over that period of time remains less than stellar, but given the nature of CL back then (the bubble up followed by the crash down), I consider it a reasonable test.

The attached performance summary & P&L graph cover Jan-2007 to Oct-2012.

I am happy the system closed October on a new P&L peak - it has certainly not performed as good in the last 6 months than in the prior years, but at least it is grinding upwards.

Anyone interested in the idea of a strategy exchange, PM me.

#15     Nov 1, 2012
  6. dom993

dom993

Performance summary

#16     Nov 1, 2012
  7. You are a computer programmer?

#17     Nov 2, 2012
  8. dom993

dom993

yep, 20+years in HighTech/Telecom R&D (although mostly in management roles), and in the last 5 years I have been developing and trading my own systems.

FWIW, as a slight twist to this strategy exchange idea, I am also currently working with another trader to automate his strategy.

#18     Nov 2, 2012
  9. Sanz

Sanz

Hello,

I can see that people are having a hard time sharing profitable strategies. Maybe a better approach is to co-develop a few ideas, narrow down and develop just a few of them. This way no one looses.

I also believe in running multiple, if possible, uncorrelated strategies with different logic , instruments and style each. I am currently running 2 and I am starting up my third soon. They are all stock- EOD, though.
    I am looking to diversify into intra-day strategies but the testing and set-up involved is much tougher than EOD. I would be forced to run in the cloud as I live outside the US.
    If throwing around ideas is interesting let me know.

btw, running 2 strat on one commodity sounds quite risky to me...

#19     Nov 8, 2012
  10. dom993

dom993

If your strategies are automated, and run in Ninja, then we could evaluate each-other's strategy as a start. PM me if interested.

#20     Nov 13, 2012