Strategy evaluation steps?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Konradp, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

All this testing is good, but what are the measurements-criteria for pass-fail? Until you know this all the testing in the world is not enough.

#11     Oct 11, 2021
    Konradp likes this.
  2. deaddog

deaddog

#12     Oct 11, 2021
    Konradp likes this.
  3. trader1974

trader1974

Better melt your brain before your money

#13     Oct 11, 2021
    Konradp likes this.
  4. Konradp

Konradp

Determining something is no longer valid is probably even harder. How do You find out before it drains Your capital?

#14     Oct 12, 2021
  5. trader1974

trader1974

Demo demo and demo

#15     Oct 12, 2021
    Konradp likes this.
  6. deaddog

deaddog

Position size and money management.

#16     Oct 12, 2021
    murray t turtle and Konradp like this.
  7. koczeau

koczeau

If I’m testing more than one strategy, I keep track of all the conditions in a trading journal. This helps me find out when my strategy didn’t work and I should avoid it, as well as when I can capitalize it on the market.

#17     Oct 14, 2021
    Konradp likes this.
  8. jocrape

jocrape

Backtesting is just one part of the evaluation process. Another layer of safety is provided through forward testing. It is important to determine the viability of the system on clean data before risking real cash in the market.

#18     Oct 15, 2021
    Konradp likes this.
  9. daxydet

daxydet

Consistently trade on micro lot until you don’t increase your win percentage.

#19     Oct 16, 2021
    Konradp likes this.
  10. IamaMars

IamaMars

Surely, first of all, I do backtesting of the new trading strategy. It is a very important step which may tell you a lot about your new decision-making procedure. The next step for me is to test the strategy with small sums and further modification of a strategy. That is the most creative and important step because it is the moment when the expectations face severe reality. Surely, there are certain alterations which will take place because more often than not reality behaves not the way we expect. This step is extremely important to find different minor mistakes which affect the whole results and it is also the room for experiments.
    After all this routine is done, I start trading the usual lots taking into account money and risk management.

#20     Oct 18, 2021
    MACD and Konradp like this.