strategies in prop trading these days

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by the_axe, Jan 15, 2014.

1. the_axe

the_axe

Curious as to what is working now and in the past few yrs in prop trading (equities).

I spent a few yrs on a sell side institutional desk, order execution for commissions, prior to that about 5 yrs making markets on naz, prop desk no order flow, when fractions went away, so did our business model. Been out of the business a while now, curious to get back in if something works, ~10 yrs later, computer equipment is much better and I have FIOS at home 80 down 50 up. Does trading 100k-200k shares a day in a high volume fairly tight range stock work anymore, grinding out $500-1000/day? Or is it picking spots, say on the SPY with 1k-5k shs at a time for 20-50-100 cents? Are the trading costs low enough now to trade for 2-5 cents on 2k-5k-10k shs ? I see conversation on pairs trading, never done it, want to keep it simple, focus on high volume liquid names. For about 26 months, way back, I traded the same stock day after day, got quite good at trading it and knowing its personality. Thanks in advance.

2. ltn2012

ltn2012

Or is it picking spots, say on the SPY with 1k-5k shs at a time for 20-50-100 cents?

That´s the game, big moves=big money....also looking at spreads/correlation with the SPY!

Good luck!

3. This is like the ultimate ET topic. Grinding it out, baby! There should be thread called that. Or maybe there should be a thread called "How to make trading exactly like working for a salary"

4. the_axe

the_axe

Not really a sustainable business model, I see what you mean though.

5. I think that's a terrible strategy because stocks can change personality and/or stop moving at any time.

Better: Build a list of 5 to 10 stocks to trade based on their average daily range.
    If a stock isn't moving, you're not going to make money trading it.....unless you are selling options on it.

6. I don't think scalping in high volume works very much any more. Especially with a lot of prop firms internalizing their order flow.

7. How does that work? Trading against other people in the firm?