Strategies for a beginner

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Lilypond10, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Telling a beginner to watch his risk and reward is like telling an amputee to watch his invisible foot. You can't watch something when there is nothing to work with. Risk and reward developes through the trust in the market.

#41     Aug 4, 2008
  2. mhdeaton

mhdeaton

No offense NEO, but telling a beginner NOT to watch risk and reward is like telling a double amputee to jump in a lake without a lifejacket..

You absolutely CANNOT win without continually assesing risk and reward.

#42     Aug 4, 2008
  3. The way I see risk/reward, if I start doing lots of paper trading before I start trading again, I want to see 60% winning trades with a risk/reward ratio of at least 1.5 to 1. I mean I would make $150 for every $100 loss.

Seems to me that you'd come out ahead in the long run with that kind of performance.

Of course, I'd like to see 70% winning trades and a 2:1 risk/reward ratio. Only time will tell if I could ever achieve that. :p

The frustrating thing though is to make a list of stocks you do want to paper trade and then find that the ones you eliminated right before the opening bell moved the most while the ones you put on your "final list of candidates" only moved a little.

#43     Aug 4, 2008
  4. You will find you have plenty of time after open before the price moves.

Take your list, for example, you have some stocks on it that did not move. Others did start to move at some point. The ones that jumped or gapped on open were telegraphing the prior pm.

These offsets in price movement come after the "tell" appears.

If you would like to see what I mentioned, you can with either lists or indicators. If you want to chose one or the other, I will post the way for you to monitor.

#44     Aug 4, 2008