strange market behavior at 4.30AM EST

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vdgraaf, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Hey, were you able to stick it out through that mind-numbing meltdown shortly before the reversal back up? I was down big in the blink of any eye (bought at the same levels) and then huffed and puffed back to profitability -- had to keep repeating to myself that -21.50 was a bargain for those poor overnight longs :cool:

#41     Jul 7, 2005
  2. Hey PTR,

It was tough watching it go through 1175.....but I needed the long deltas too. My overall positions had gotten way outta whack.

But overall it pays to buy when people freak. As an example just check out the last "MarketHankSurferJayGould" "Black Monday" thread from mid-April. From memory I think there were THREE buyers out of maybe 40 people on that thread. Simply text book.

Doesn't work every time....but the odds are certainly in your favor.

Best,
    Dr. Z

BTW: I have a little trick to sit through pain.....I always cover my blotter so I don't see (read:feel) the magnitude of the pain. But only when I think I’m right, of course :)

#42     Jul 7, 2005
  3. omniscient

omniscient Guest

kudos doc :)

i felt there would be some sure bargains, but didn't have the experience / exposure / etc to sit through the pain. i would have puked. turns out i didn't do much better during RTH. oh well, tomorrow is another day :D

anyway, congrats to you and any others who saw the opportunity and acted on it.

take care and gtty -

omni

#43     Jul 7, 2005
  4. I own GBP... but I'm not a Londoner.

#44     Jul 7, 2005
  5. how is life, yes it is me the tiv man, contact me.

#45     Jul 7, 2005

6. Both good points. I was talking to my Chinese girlfrd how I feel no guilt making money today (and some people made BUNDLES).
    I am not taking money from those hurt in the attacks, and would not. I am taking money from other traders sitting in their homes in ButtFk, Iowa, or serving their bosses in Manhattan, or Tokyo.

The market is information, INFORMATION, and a GAME - get it?

#46     Jul 7, 2005

7. Exactly!

When your trading in possible morally challenging times such as today (not for me), for the weak and timid, I would just say put a seatbelt on and know that your taking money from evil and hoping to help others with it longterm with your profits. Of course, my position is there is no guilt or moral justication warranted for coining hand over fist on a day like today.

#47     Jul 7, 2005
  8. Totally with you on that one...

#48     Jul 7, 2005
  9. You and I my friend are on exactly the same page.

#49     Jul 7, 2005
  10. AUDIENCE
    All INET Subscribers

from INET site ...

-SUMMARY-
    -On Friday, July 8, 2005, INET, along with other marketplaces, including the NASDAQ Stock Market, will observe one minute of silence from 11:00 a.m. until 11:01 a.m., Eastern Time (ET), to express solidarity with those who were affected as a result of today's attacks in London.-

-We invite subscribers to join us. Since trading will not be halted during this time, we ask subscribers to use their best judgment and sensitivity in regards to trading during this minute of silence. Please note, for continuity purposes, INET will remain operational during the minute of silence-.

-INET will begin trading at the regular opening time of 7:00 a.m., ET, and close at 8:00 p.m., ET, on July 8, 2005.-

#50     Jul 7, 2005