Straddles, are they ever profitable?

Discussion in 'Options' started by TradeCat, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    #41     Jun 29, 2016
  2. JackRab

JackRab

Obviously I meant it this way:
    1 stradlle is 1 call + 1 put... So if you buy 1 put + 50 deltas in stock it's the same size as half a straddle...

Btw, Iv'e been an options market maker in Europe for 10 years, trading index options, single stock options, interest rate options... So yes... Obviously I have traded like that before....

#42     Jun 29, 2016
  3. JackRab

JackRab

185 strike Call position = 80 delta long
    Stock position = 100 delta short
    Total position = 20 delta short
    Which is the same as a 185 strike Put, with the same gamma/vega etc of the call...

That's why, if you sell the Put... your position is:
    long 185 strike call short the 185 strike put = synthetic long underlying
    short 100 delta underlying... = completely risk free position. No gamma, no vega, no delta...

#43     Jun 29, 2016
  4. Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    #44     Jun 29, 2016
  5. OptionGuru

OptionGuru

You guys are obsessed with the option greeks .... so much so you can't see the forest through the trees.

• The original question is simple: Straddles, are they every profitable?
    • The answer is simple: Yes they are ... if the underlying moves as you predicted.

You guys can now get back to your option greek gobbly goop circle jerk discussion. Have fun.

:)

#45     Jun 30, 2016
  6. Good luck to both you and me! We'll find all that out from actually trading the markets!

#46     Jun 30, 2016
  7. JackRab

JackRab

I know, I just can't stand it when people start saying things that are incorrect... there's too many people following bad advice...

#47     Jun 30, 2016
  8. Very well said indeed!

#48     Jun 30, 2016
  9. Deltas is used to measure options!
    http://www.investopedia.com/articles/optioninvestor/03/021403.asp

Every single stock has 100 deltas, isn't it true!?

Where can we find a stock (or futures) of 50 deltas to buy? Personally I can't!

In other words, a straddle of "buying 1 put + 50 deltas in stock" would never exist/happen in real world trading!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    #49     Jun 30, 2016
  10. sle

sle

Did I miss those in my years out?

Oh, come on - in this context, the same strike/tenor and ATMFish strike, it's a totally ok to think it terms of premium paid. In fact, the moment you you live in a unit-tenor world, extrinsic premium is the best proxy to theta, which in turn is the best proxy to general risk.

OK, Asian day is over and I am off to bed...

#50     Jun 30, 2016