Stops at Genesis

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by BrownianMotion, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Thanks guys. I just noticed this morning on GNDT.com that they just came out with a new laser update as of yesterday (Aug 17). It's version 5.1.2.287.2. I currently have 287.1 on my system. I think I'll wait before installing it to see if any known bugs emerge.

Hey Newbie, is this the version you are talking about? Or are you talking about my present version, 287.1? I have 287.1, but I don't see TraderStop program included here. How do you make it run?

Thanks,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

#51     Aug 18, 2006
  2. The version I used to test this feature was 286.11, even older than yours , I think they might have fixed that bug by now.

To try it, just put on a trade, once you are in a position right click on that position in the blotter then you will have 2 options, stop loss and trailing stop but you will have to setup how you want these to work from Trade--> Trade Settings then click on the tab called "order settings" there you set how you want your stop order to act.

#52     Aug 18, 2006
  3. EricP

EricP

No need to explain.

You did NOT say you liked the platform, what you said was "Apart from these (big) problems, Laser isn't too bad a platform."

"Isn't too bad" => nice back handed 'compliment'. Trashing a firms platform on your firm ET post on a nick apparently created for the purpose? I guess we'll draw our own conclusions on what that means.

You could be expressing real experience from trading at Genesis, or you could be posting negative stuff against a competitor. But your nick creation and trash talking indicates a high possibility of the later.

#53     Aug 18, 2006
  4. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Thanks newbie. I did that and it seemed to work. However, now my Level II Mouse Style is screwed up, lol. Normally with the Level II Mouse Style, there are two buttons, Buy and Sell. Now those two buttons have become Buy TS and Sell TS. Presumably TS stands for TraderStop. So now I can't get my old Mouse Style order entry back. Any suggestions? lol. Maybe this is the bug you were talking about, lol. I looked on the Trade Settings tab to see if I could get rid of this bug, but didn't find anything helpful.

But I did see the Order Settings you were talking about. But nothing helpful there either. So now I can't buy or sell normally with this Level II anymore. I can create a new Level II, but that seems kind of ridiculous. Can't be doing that every time!!!

Suggestions?
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

#54     Aug 18, 2006
  5. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

bump

#55     Aug 18, 2006
  6. No this was not the bug, the bug was that the stop was triggered unexpectedly and when triggered the position is closed and I find that it reverses my position too, so for example if I buy AAPL at $66.5 with a trailing stop of 1% so I expect it to be triggered at about $65.9 but actually it was triggered at $66.55 after it went up slightly then it went short too !!

anyway, I use the keyboard shortcuts so I dont use the mouse style so I can't help you here, sorry.

#56     Aug 18, 2006
  7. Dude, would you stop bumping this? How about you call their support line and ask them what you want to know? :confused:

#57     Aug 18, 2006
  8. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Wow, it reversed your positions without your consent? lol. That's awful. I guess I will have to keep a close watch on it as I try it out.

+-*/ Math_Wiz

#58     Aug 19, 2006
  9. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Thanks for the in-your-face, Moneyball. I will lighten up on the bumping, and I will consider your suggestion.

Good trading to you,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

#59     Aug 19, 2006
  10. MMHunter

MMHunter

"EricP"

Thanks for trashing my compliment. I guess as a Genesis representative you will only permit glowing praise.

Here's a secret for you. People create new nicks all the time so others aren't influenced by their prior comments. You prefer to use the same username all the time? Goodie for you.

As for my experience with the Laser, there are lots of things I like and lots I don't.

Here's some pro's and con's to demonstrate my "experience" with the Laser platform for you sir:

Laser PRO'S

* It's VERY VERY fast
    * Customizable ECN routing order
    * Cool shortcuts (e.g. pressing a number key to change the quantity, automatically updated position quantity in Level II, etc...)
    * A handy "page" feature to quickly switch between layouts

Laser CON'S

* It's stops SUCK!!!!! (That's for you EricP)
    * It's hotkeys SUCK!!!!! (Programming them requires use of multiple windows and it is impossible to program hotkeys for specific order types AND sizes AND prices AND price offsets--like most OE software)
    * It's color/font customization ability SUCKS!!!!!
    * It's charts SUCK!!! (Slow updates, no ability to filter pre-market data from intraday charts, frequent bad data, need to constantly change chart servers, etc. etc.)
    * Never any release notes for new versions
    * Genesis rarely updates help files when releasing new versions
    * Moving and/or closing windows is way harder than it needs to be because of the unorthodox window styles

#60     Aug 22, 2006