Stopping in to say hello to old friends!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aphexcoil, Jan 22, 2007.

1. I'm not sure how many of the old crew still reads this board (from around 2001-2002), but I'd like to say hi to anyone who remembers me.

I was reminiscing recently about old times and how times change and people mature and grow up (like me -- and Gordon Gekko -- is he still around?).

You know, life can just be damn weird at times. I turned 30 in December and thought, "wow, I'm really getting old!" Not really old, but I feel this sense of mortality that I either didn't know or just chose to ignore in my 20's.

Looking back, I am amazed at how immature I approached trading in general. I went in for all the wrong reasons and felt like I was a young big bad ass about to teach the market a few lessons.

As I've gotten older, I've mellowed out a lot more. I've learned that life isn't only about the person living it (i.e. me -- the ego, whatever you want to call it). I think as one gets older, that sense of community becomes stronger and more real.

I've also thought back to a lot of things in my life that I've left dangling -- lose strings so to speak. Some of those were out of my control. Some of those were probably in my control, but I was too naive and stupid to appreciate the moments while they were here. I met an amazing woman in Vegas after knowing her for four years and was so excited to get to see her again soon -- but that never happened. That's just one small example of one of life's thousands of lose strands that we leave dangling as we get older.

Then of course there are the people who age and suddenly die without us ever getting a chance to say goodbye. You think each day that when you wake up in the morning, it is going to be a fresh new day with no surprises in store -- all the same players will be there. Eventually the realization sets in where that isn't necessarily true and we have no idea what's going to happen next.

September 11, 2001 seems almost like yesterday, yet it is now over a half a decade away. That day was one of those days in my life where I got slapped in the face and realized that anything can happen at any moment.

It is funny how the markets are a lot like life. Every day brings new opportunities -- both good and bad. Our own perceptions can shift whether or not the day will be "really bad" or "really good" -- but by only so much. Life and the markets both share that "hard right edge" -- where we think through all our technical analysis that we have some statistical edge on what that next tick will be -- but in actuality we are always open to sudden surprises.

Yet, no matter what happens to you or me, life continues to march on. New players keep coming on the field while old players retire to some remote island in search of peace and tranquility.

Well, that about sums up everything I wanted to say.

So hello to all the old faces that still linger on this board. Good trading and keep the markets moving!

- aphexcoil (aka aphie)

2. hcour

hcour Guest

That's ok, that's how you're supposed to feel when you're young. Your 20's seem to last forever. You'll find your 30's a bit different. The yrs start to speed up. Then when you're in your mid-30's suddenly your 40's seem a lot closer and your 20's and your youth are a lot farther away. At about 42 you'll have a mid-life crisis that last for a few yrs, then eventually you learn to accept it. But at 48 (me) you'll still say w/incredulity, "I'm 48?! Man, I don't feel 48! That sounds so old. I still feel like a teenager. WTF?"

Aging. Yeah, it's weird.

Harold

3. laptop

laptop

don't mind my registration date, I've been here since 2003.

yes its absolutely true.

things change, here on ET, just when you get to know crowed

they are gone,

one thing that doesn't change is constant influx of new people.

its a demonstration of cycle of life.

old folks get forgotten, they get replaced by new movers and shakers, who don't consider those before them

and then they too get replaced

its the way of all things, I suppose

4. Hey now.. Great post and good to see ya!

5. aphie,

Great to hear from you again. You're lucky. You seem to have learned a lot about life at an early age, even though 30 seems terribly old to you now. In a few years it won't, trust me.

6. ElCubano

ElCubano

Whats up aphie?? :D

7. As the old song goes: "What's it all about Aphie?"

8. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

Many Thanks for your well-wishing.

Whatever you do now: Have fun and success.

Looks like in way you are still attached to the markets?

Bernd Kuerbs