Stop Working More than 40 Hours a Week

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by cornix, Dec 18, 2012.

1. We used computers to test for TA patterns--- thousands of them-- only a very very few had a slight edge. I charted by hand pre PC in the early 1990's--

surf

#11     Dec 19, 2012
  2. I quit the corporate world at 27. I remember being shocked at how many people were out and about during the day. The business I started with $15 was earning more than my meager insurance company salary, not to mention I was working it one day a week-- other than a few phone calls every night-- returning messages from interested customers. The rest of the time I dedicated to learning financial markets and trying to scale the business into a national one. I never put a dime into the biz and grew it organically to 5000 issues per week of between 25 and 110 paid full pages. Everything was outsourced except I would make the rounds visiting clients once per week. I franchised the business but quickly discovered my niche was simply not scalable. It only worked in my specific geographic location. So, I was making a great living for one man operation -- had the big house, prestigious neighbourhood , multiple cars, art. But I was also spending everything for the lifestyle. Then the Internet caught on and the real estate crash happened slowing things down substantially. Next , around 2003-4 business just dried up-- so I was forced into doing full time what I'm doing now. A small hedge fund hired me to do TA ( believe it or not) in 2002 -- which I did on the days my biz ran by itself... This was my start into learning how things really worked in the financial markets. ----- Post my gann days. surf

#12     Dec 19, 2012
  3. cornix

cornix

How do you think Surf, can computer consistently beat good human player in poker?

#13     Dec 19, 2012
  4. I don't know. But I would bet on the computer.

surf

#14     Dec 19, 2012
  5. i quit the rat race around 37. Working 60 + hours a week. Funny thing, I used to take my lunch around 11:30 every day and I thought that would be a good time to start drinking. (I never did though).

I started my own business and set my salary goal and quit working everyday around 1 -2 pm and started drinking.

Then the "problems" started (yuk yuk). I was pretty good at what I did, the work load increased cutting into my drinking time. Soon I was back to working 60 hours a week and I had to quit drinking to keep up with the work load.

Funny how that turned out....:cool:

#15     Dec 19, 2012
  6. cornix

cornix

Well, such programs exist in online poker. But they only participate the low stakes longhand games and even there minimally skilled player can distinguish them. How do you think, why is that the case?

#16     Dec 19, 2012
  7. Brutal!!

I knew how to outsource and build a small local organization but when it came time to expand and scale-- I couldn't do it. Even the folks I hired to help me seemed incompetent when push came to shove but then again I couldn't afford to hire proven guidance and always ended up with the "talkers" rather than doers. The doers were getting very rich and had no time for my little goals.

#17     Dec 19, 2012
  8. I think the programs you are talking about are like the FX robots anyone can buy. Not bespoke software designed by the best in the field.

#18     Dec 19, 2012
  9. cornix

cornix

Funny. I had somewhat close experience in early 2000's. Had successful online business, which didn't require attention. Completely. It just ran. I still counseled some people as psychologist, but still had too much free time, which led to some partying activity. A bit too much of it I'd say.

Trading cured that pretty fast, until the last month or so used to devote 9-11 hours every day to screens/markets. :)

#19     Dec 19, 2012
  10. cornix

cornix

Different. They are not sold like FX "expert advisers" (which don't work consistently I believe, cause who would sell a profitable bot?)... they are non-existent in high-stakes shorthand games for simple reason: humans would easily beat them.

Computer programs are simply unable to gauge human behavior well enough. Computers can be good in chess where everything comes down to calculating maximum amount of possible moves in minimum time and choosing the optimal.

But poker or trading includes subjective component, which is simply impossible to calculate, but possible to read for a skilled human player.

That's why computers hardly are able to find any TA edges, but skilled humans do so successfully.

#20     Dec 19, 2012