Stop these threads...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by neutrino, Jan 29, 2004.

1. abogdan

abogdan

Well it is just your opinion. I happened to believe in sharing strategies, ideas etc. I don't believe the markets could be influenced by this at all! Developing good technics only takes the game on the new level! . Back in eighties when PCs just came about a lot of traders were concerned that such computing power will destroy the market as traders would be able to analyze data faster. Look what happens today. Can you imaging trading without a computer? It did not destroyed the markets it brought the game on a totally different level. You can change the rules but you can never stop the game! Now, let's assume that your technic is to follow the trend . So the more people would share your idea the more stronger trend you would experience. On another hand. If your "system" is counter trend one then the more people know about it the more counter trend waves you can create. Were is the downside? I also think that it is completely irrelevant to your success whether you share your ideas or not. Over time I found that the less you know the more reluctant you are to share. The more you know the more open you become. It is called CONFIDENCE

#21     Jan 29, 2004
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Exactly. The notion that a "large" number of people would follow the same system is ludicrous enough, but to believe that they would all employ it in exactly the same way is even more so.

Those of you who have "secrets", keep them. Please.

#22     Jan 29, 2004
  3. abogdan

abogdan

Well said! I have been a professional scientist (applied math) all my life. I would not imagine any progress in my work without sharing my best ideas with a large group of colleagues. What this board lacks is sense of tact, intelligence and trust. I can bet that the little "secrets" people claim to have worth precisely DICK! So, YES, keep them!:cool:

#23     Jan 29, 2004
  4. MRWSM

MRWSM

I don't mind telling people what my positions are as long as I believe them to be correct and if I have been correct more often than not. I call that helping people. It takes balls to stick your neck out and make a call. But to reveal details of a system for entering and exiting would eventually change the system. You will then have a lot of competition on entry's and exit's which would definitely have some entering sooner or exiting sooner. Targets will be harder to get.

But anyway, that's just me, I enjoy shows like Bulls N Bears on saturday on Foxnews just for that reason, they have the balls to tell you their positions and their calls and Tobin is correct more often than not. Brenda Butner will not allow anyone to wimp out and just say "This is a stock pickers market".

#24     Jan 29, 2004
  5. Some of the Forums on Hardware and Software to be quite informative and most helpful. I would have gladly "paid" for the opportunity to have access to those Forums when I was a "newbie" . . .

However, most of the threads that get started in the TradingForum are one's that are full of piss and vinegar, huge Egos, and not much substance ( technical or fundamental ) to back up their opinion's.

The moderators should just move that kind of stuff to Chit-Chat, cause there really is no value with someone starting a thread out at SPX 1050 claiming that he is selling naked calls because the "S&P Looks Toppy" and keeping this thread ALIVE all the way to SPX 1150. It not only lacks credibility, it just makes ET look like a much poorer site than it is.

The moderators really need to be much more vigilant in the Trading Forum threads. They really do.

#25     Jan 29, 2004
  6. A great motorcycle riding gal from New Jersey!
    She originally got her start in Journalism at would you believe . . . Cycle World of all places!

:D

#26     Jan 29, 2004
  7. It would be very nice if we can see any managers of hedge funds would comfortably share/ reveal their trading strategies/ methods/ secrets openly and fully (on ET or else)! :D

:confused:

#27     Jan 29, 2004
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

The idea that it takes "balls" to make a call is why they continue, though all it takes to make these calls is arrogance and a belief that one is smarter than the market.

Who cares what your positions are, unless you've figured out some way of rewinding time so that others can take the same position. Even MrMarket explains why a position is being taken, which is educative. Simply saying "I'm long ACME" is meaningless and irrelevant and helps no one.

It's called "adaptability", and if you've never had to alter your "system" in order to adapt to changing market conditions, you are unique in the history of trading.

#28     Jan 29, 2004
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Who'd care? I can't see that they're doing all that well.

Read Taleb.

#29     Jan 29, 2004
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

you have the guys starting threads about direction and the guys starting threads about those threads and so on and so forth....THE TRADING forum whether it be usefull to you or not is about trading and someone calling the TOP whether he be right or wrong is about trading...may not be your definition of trading but trading isnt only the way you trade ...keep that in mind

THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM TO DISCUSS ANYTHING PERTAINING TO THE MARKETS....Obviously, we can do without the egos, name calling and spamming....in fact 2 of the best threads ever started on ET is about calling a direction in the market and or a stock poisition.....peace

#30     Jan 29, 2004